The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:43 pm 
Donating Member

It's funny, but over the years I have received packages that were completely inadequate for shipping that arrived fine, and other packages that were quite stout, but damaged.

One package I received had two 12" guitar speakers, and was shipped in essentially a dress shirt gift box with a couple pieces of tissue paper. One of the frames got bent. Totally the seller's bad. I'm surprised the box held together long enough to drop it with the shipper. We resolved it, but with some pain. Luckily it was peanuts for $.

Gotta go with the odds, though.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:04 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I registered to this forum just to tell my story: i also get crooked by a buyer who knew how to take advantage of a loophole on REVERB.
( sorry in advance if my english is kind of messy, i don't write in english very often :PPP )

I sold an EHX Epitome to a guy on Toronto. Shipped the item on 29th of december ... and Canada Post Tracking system labeled it was delivered on the 3rd of january.

Great !!!

Until the buyer claim it didn't received the pedal !!! Ask for an inquiry at Canada Post. one week later they said they cannot find an answer to the inquiry despite their effort, so they say now the item is " lost ".

So now i have to refund the guy .... even if all of this is defined only on his f%&# word ( over Canada Post tracking saying it's delivered ) . The shipping information was correct.

I know my responsability was to insured the package ... but i didn't do it since i thought it was only for case of damaged package etc ... my packaging was impeccable so ... i just assume it was not necessary. : /

Well ...

Now you all know ... if the item you bought was not covered ... and you didn't have to sign anything on reception ... just say you didn't received the package and trust me .. you'll be refund !! ... cause Reverb doesn't give a sh!t about me .... they trust his word i guess .... and this guy must have the pedal all along. ( i mean ... it was delivered to someone right ? and i double checked the address on my bill, everything is fine ) Just pretend you didnt received it.

There you go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 pm 
Bottle Rocket

You might also want to take a picture of the serial number when you ship something off. I had bought a wireless guitar setup new right before the band broke up. I never used it, the box was unopened and it sat on a shelf for 1-1/2yrs before I decided to put it on Ebay. The guy that bought it claimed it didn't work and demanded a refund. He got his refund and I'm certain he sent his broken unit to me on the return...grrrrr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 am 
Bottle Rocket

I use Reverb more often than I thought I would. In the last couple of years, I've sold four guitars, a couple pedals, and purchased odds and ends items from people all over the country. I've had only one issue and Reverb sorted it out rather quickly.

I purchased a Randall Diavlo 20 head from some yahoo who never shipped it. He said he would, but never provided a tracking number or a "shipped on" date. After three days, I contacted Reverb and they determined the guy was a scam artist. They refunded my money to me (a week or so later) and I went on my merry way. But I take precautions.

1. Don't use your primary bank account to conduct transactions through PayPal or Reverb.com's Direct Checkout system or for that matter, e-Bay. The buyer is always right until you can prove otherwise. That's just the way it is and Reverb can withdraw funds from your connected account if it feels you've been dragging your feet on satisfying the aggrieved party.
  2. As mentioned, take photos of your merchandise, including serial numbers, prior to shipping it out and keep them in a safe place.
  3. Read up on packaging procedures and follow them. It costs a few bucks more to ship things properly but in the long run, you'll be happy you spent a couple dollars. I keep bubble wrap and packing paper at my house and I use it.
  4. I don't use FedEx. Your mileage may vary, but I've had FedEx drivers leave guitars - that required signature - on a doorstep without signature or even a doorbell ring.
  5. Declare a value, require a signature, and insure your package. That costs about another $10 at shipping but it's worth it. Doesn't matter how well you packaged, someone can screw it up for you. Human beings are human beings.
  6. In a dispute, insist from moment one that your merchandise be returned. That's a Reverb policy that you can push them to stand behind... however, after 4 months, something has to give and the payment system is likely going to side with the buyer.
  7. Speaking of payment systems... disputes with Reverb Direct Checkout are supposed to be handled by Reverb; PayPal is handled by PayPal. Reverb will try to help you with a PayPal dispute, but in the end, PayPal has the final say on disputes and you're obliged to follow PayPal's rules.

Hope this helps. I know this is an older thread, but it looks as though it's recently been revived.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 pm 
Bottle Rocket

This is a horrible story to read! The buyer definitely worked the loopholes in the system and I completely put the blame on him for the reason you got screwed by FedEx. Not sure why Reverb.com decided to issue a refund on your behalf. That doesn't seem right at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 am 
Bottle Rocket

I just made two very successful purchases from Reverb but as we all know, stuff happens!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:02 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I have been burned by reverb twice. The first time, the seller of a Fender guitar gutted the pickups and electronics and replaced them with the cheapest tiny pots and crappy pickups. Because I didn't take it all apart and ask for a refund in the first 7 days they did nothing. So you can sell guitars on reverb and just change out the electronics with some squier and make even more money selling the correct parts! I gave the seller bad feedback and found out that giving someone the lowest rating--one star--does very little to their rating. Seller only had about 5 deals but my one star averaged out to a half star from perfect rating! Bogus. They just do whatever they can to keep the money flowing. To their own pockets. The second time reverb ripped me, the guitar was supposedly damaged in shipping to me. The PO paid the entire claim, to the shipper. He kept half of it and lied to me, said they only paid a small amount on the claim. Of course the PO gave it to me in writing that it was paid in full. Reverb refused to do anything. So if you sell on reverb, you can keep any damage claim money for yourself!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:04 pm 
Donating Member

To be accurate, Reverb did not rip you. The sellers did. It sucks that there is little recourse, but Reverb is a tool.

Incidentally, what you had happen was mail/wire fraud. It may have been a good idea to contact the local and federal police.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:11 pm 
Mark II

Reverb was created by the owner of the Chicago Music Exchange, a fairly large music store... so you know being sellers of music gear themselves they definitely have sellers in mind. I always use PayPal checkout just to add another layer of recourse... Reverb > PayPal > Credit Card company. That's three chances to get your money back if something goes wrong. Good luck out there, everyone!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm 
Donating Member

Interestingly, there are complaints in this subject that show how either the buyer or seller may abuse the system. It doesn't look particularly slanted either way in that sense.

As for using your CC via PP, it was my understanding that the PP transaction is a cash advance from the card, so it is not protected by the CC company in the way that a charge would be. Worth checking into that.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm 
Mark II

That might be an issue with specific banks, but I have never had a Pay Pal transaction treated as a cash advance on and of my cards. Maybe if you are sending money as a friend/gift?

More here:
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/arti ... ged-FAQ499

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:50 pm 
Donating Member

It's not clear to me from that link that it's NOT a cash advance. This is something that I remember being spelled out quite clearly, though it was years ago, so PP's policy may have changed. It was not a specific credit company policy, it was a PP policy. I checked on google for a bit, but couldn't get a direct answer quickly.

Again, worth getting a solid answer.

Recto 2x12 Horizontal
2x Recto 2x12 Vertical

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:51 am 
Mark II

Definitely something to look into further if you're not sure for your specific situation. I just had to double check because it seems crazy, but I have been consistently using PayPal for 18 years! I've never seen a charge get separated out from other CC transactions and marked as a cash advance before. I did accidental do a cash advance away from PayPal recently though. Soon after both the credit card company and Mint alerted me about the associated fees. I've never seen that from any PayPal transaction. That doesn't mean it would be the same for everyone else though I guess. :lol: