Preamp valves for VTwin

Bottle Rocket, V-1, V-twin.
Footcontrollers, midi switchers, amp switchers and Mesa Boogie products not covered.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Dr Sloan
Mark I

Preamp valves for VTwin

Post by Dr Sloan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi folks, I'm looking for your recommendations for preamp valves for the V Twin. I don't use the clean setting, just the crunch and solo modes. I'm looking for a more gain on these modes. It has 12SPX7s just now?? Thanks for your suggestions.
Dr Graham Sloan Psychotherapist
Mesa Triaxis, 2 2.90 power amps, Mark V head, 5 (1 x 12) thiele cabs, V-Twin, cab clone.

APEMAN
Mark III

Re: Preamp valves for VTwin

Post by APEMAN » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 am

Fun facts for the V-Twin:

1. One tube is for the clean channel (I think it was the left one) and the other is for the overdrive channel (right side)

2. The overdrive/distrotion is generated by a view silicon diodes in conjuction with a view operational amps (ic's) - so changing the right tube will maybe not have the big influence that you might think. But you can try to go with a tung-sol to achive a more treably feel. My best results were together with a drive pedal in front. The pedal version is designed to make a transistor amp sound like a valve amp.

I found the clean channel sounds almost perfect!

Dr Sloan
Mark I

Post by Dr Sloan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Ah, that's helpful and will save me some money. Cheers.
Dr Graham Sloan Psychotherapist
Mesa Triaxis, 2 2.90 power amps, Mark V head, 5 (1 x 12) thiele cabs, V-Twin, cab clone.

treedroppings
Mark II

Post by treedroppings » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 am

I used craigslist.com 's search engine. I typed in 'vacuum tubes' and results for car parts, carpet maintenance, stereos show up but so do the tube sellers in your area!

12ax7 can be around $40-80 for older tubes
2006 Fender Lite Ash Strat
2012 US Gibson Firebird V
1990 Boogie Mark 1 Reissue
2-12 Sapele Cab

Music: from blues to thrash and back! (allman bros, exodus, saxon, tcf, robert johnson)