Stowaway/High Wire/Clearlink recommendations for complex rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zesta

Reaction score
I am running 2 separate amps (one of them a JP2C, the other a Panama)

I am running each of them via "4 cable" method (7 total links) through a single Line 6 Helix.

I am wondering what the best recommendation would be for which of the new buffer products would help me keep my tone stable and avoid ground loop and hum issues.

I currently run a Lehle P-split II between the Helix and the JP2C input as that solved some hum issues. I still feel like I am losing a bit of tone and I still have some hum issues.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start and then where to go next? I'm hoping I am not going to have to get crazy and buy something for every link.

thanks,
-Randy

Subject: Stowaway/High Wire/Clearlink recommendations for complex rig

Zesta said:
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to start and then where to go next? I'm hoping I am not going to have to get crazy and buy something for every link.

Hi Randy,

With a rig so complex, the HELIX Rack would be a better option... not sure if you can trade up to the HELIX RACK. Otherwise any of the [7] 4CM cables could degrade your tone...

Unfortunately there's no easy answer. I know that you love your Tube Amps, but, the HELIX amps, with good IR's, will give tube amps a run-for-the-money... (Since I still have many Mesa Boogie Amps.. the run-for-the-money statement takes cost and weight, etc into consideration)

I still use the Fryette Power Station 50 Watt tube amp as the last stage so there is still some Tube-Mojo in the equation...

For Live, I send the Helix 1/4" Mono output into a Fryette Power Station and then to two MESA 1x12 cabs for my stage sound (No IR) and the Helix LEFT XLR Mono output, with Ownhammer I.R., feeds the P.A.

This sends a good amp/cab/mic sound to the P.A., I get very close to Amp-in-the-room for my Stage Sound and my band mates can hear me on stage!

helix_rig5_2.jpg

If you use the Helix modelling, you can use the Power Amp Sections of your Panama and JP2C to drive your Cabs... this is something that you can try without buying any other gear.

Please let me know if I can help with any other questions

Regards

Joe

Using the Helix's amps, I have never been able to get a tone that is anywhere close to the tone of my JP2C.

For the most part, I'm just using the Helix as a pedal board.

I have actually thought about using the Helix rack in addition to rack-mounting the JP2C.
There would still be potential hum and tone issues, but less so with the shorter cables.

If anyone has a suggestion for a rack case to house the Helix Rack and JP2C that isn't super deep, that would be great. Most are deep enough to mount 2 sets (and will not work well on top of a standard cabinet)

I may just eliminate the panama from the monster rig, and use the Helix for the few non-Mesa tones I want.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the best setup.

thanks,

-Randy

Hi Randy,

I understand why you would like to keep the JP2C as your main sound source...

Also, taking the Panama out of the set-up will help with the noise/ hum... Make sure that you use high quality cables... I use Mogami 2524 for most of my patch cables.

Are you using the Helix to switch JP2C channels via MIDI or via the Helix EXT. AMP Jack?... one or both of these connections can create a ground loop thorough the Helix Amp Control Cable Shield or via the MIDI cable shield.

I believe that the HELIX guitar IN is already buffered so a Stowaway would be redundant on that input.. I'm not sure if the other cables running between the amp and the Helix would benefit from a buffer either..

Let me know if I can help further...

regards

Joe

Back