Throttle box eq - My (initial) quick review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick79

Reaction score
Picked one of these up the other day, i remember reading about them when they came out and was interested right from the start. I'll start off by saying no online review video i have seen does this justice, through my F50 it sounds absolutely brutal. Huge sound, very harmonically rich and excellent sustain. It's definitely voiced like a Mesa amp, without the eq engaged it's not a million miles away from channel 2 of my F50 although it's not quite as dark.
Flick on the eq and set to taste and it really takes it to the next level. I've FINALLY got that Recto crunch that i've wanted for so long. In typical Mesa style each control has a huge sweep, so far i've found Recto crunch and a really cool ripping distortion not a million miles away from a 'Mark' series.

For me it's the eq that makes this pedal worth the (quite considerable) cost. Without that it's still a decent pedal but the eq really adds to it.
Build quality seem's to be as you would expect from Mesa- Built like a tank, everything feels quality and it's just an awesome thing to hold.
I'll be using it in anger at a gig next weekend so i'll report back on how it fares, but i'm really looking forward to it.

a94fb5ca-42f0-45ef-9cbc-e241cf667aad_zpstji49k3b.jpg

Mmmm, a bit dead in here but here goes anyway, it may help someone looking at these.
Tried out the Throttle box in anger last night at a decent volume at rehearsal, blew me away to be honest. It definatly benefits from going through a powerful 6l6 amp, sounds huge. Got a decent classic rock tone on the Lo channel with no eq, then flick to Hi with the eq engaged and it was metal city.. The controls have a huge amount of adjustment especially the eq, its a very powerful tool.
Flicked back to my amps overdrive at one point, it was admittedly with the gain set quite low but it just didn't have the punch or clarity that the pedal has. Not sure if that's normal or maybe the pre amp tubes are past their best...
This won't really do low gain/just on the edge of break up stuff, but for anything from classic rock (with a fair bit of beef) to balls out metal it will get the job done. There was so much low end coming out of the speaker i could feel it flapping my shorts against my legs haha!
Basically i've now got the sound i want, and i'm seriously thinking of looking at the Flux Five to add to the board.

Just thought i would update in case it proves useful for anyone thinking about getting one of these.
Gigged with it last night and i'm still really chuffed with it. Lo setting with tone at 11:00, gain at noon it's got a great classic rock sound going on, its got some real balls to it. Loads of punch and clarity.
I'm using the Hi channel for metal type stuff (Sabbath, Judas priest, etc etc) and for this i click the eq on in a very slight v. Nudge the gain up just a touch with my foot and there it is.
All in all this thing is fantastic and until i can spring for a Triple Rectifier it does the job. It's expensive (especially here in the UK) but most definitely worth it.
I'm now looking at getting a Flux Five just on the basis of how good the Throttle box is, and it get's great reviews.

ps. Tubescreamer with gain low (almost off) and level all the way up into the Throttle Box is killer.

No worries mate, i'm playing it through my F50, just using the onboard Black shadow but i'm looking to add a 2x12 cab sometime soon.
I think part of the reason it sounds so great is using an amp with 6l6 tubes and lots of head room, it sounds huge. Although i'm sure to be honest it would sound great through anything.
Just last night at band practise we played Enter Sandman for a laugh, and my set up nailed that sound, so much so we are adding it to the set list...

Good to hear great things about the Flux drive, one of those it next on my list i reckon.
Nick

Glad it's of interest. I bought it to fill in until i can stretch to a Rectifier but now i've used it for a while i'm realising it's doing a great job. I can get it to sound just like channel 2 of my F50 so it's typical Mesa Boogie (which is great) it just adds so much more flexability. As i said, it's not cheap but it's worth every penny.

Latest posts

Back