5 Band EQ with Mini Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addictedtokaos

Reaction score
Ive been debating getting this setup since the release of the 5band eq pedal. I want to use the pedal to shape the rhythm tone on CH2 on my min rec. Ive been watching ebay and craigslist for a while and havent seen any "used" ones come up.

Am I safe to assume these are pretty stellar pedals? And would is it a better option than other EQs on the market considering its cost?

Going strictly from what I've read (I use a semi-parametric in the loop of my Mini Rec, not really a fan of graphic EQs) the Mesa 5-band is reportedly very good - being Mesa, you know it's built like a tank (I've got a Grid Slammer, and it's...built like a tank). Whether the Mesa EQ is your best option, I don't know, but it is the same EQ as what's in Mesa amps. I'd say you'll likely have good results with one in the loop.

Many will disagree, but I've never found an EQ (graphic is all I've tried) in the loop to really help a rectifier, and I have tried a few (mxr10,mxr6, boss7) into various rectifier heads.

IMO it sounded best though when you run the effects mix knob all the way up (90%) wet, or just mod the loop to series.

I'd imagine the mesa EQ is a cut above the others when it comes to not over-coloring the core-tone.

TRENCHLORD said:
Many will disagree, but I've never found an EQ (graphic is all I've tried) in the loop to really help a rectifier, and I have tried a few (mxr10,mxr6, boss7) into various rectifier heads.

IMO it sounded best though when you run the effects mix knob all the way up (90%) wet, or just mod the loop to series.
The FX loop in the Mini Rec is series/serial; the channel masters are the "send" level controls. As loops go they're very good. The FX loop is one of the differences between the Mini Rec and the big Recs.

Well, I got my EQ pedal in. Not sure if Im just loosing my mind but my mini rec use to be fairly quiet on ch2. Just like a quiet wooshing sound. After connecting the EQ in the loop and turning it on I heard a couple crackles and pops. Now I have this annoying hum in my amp. Sounds like a ground loop hum. :( With or without the pedal in the loop.

Ive tried tube rolling pre and swapping power tubes. Tried without any cables. Tried with the fx loop switched off. Its in all CH2 modes. Sounds like I fried something. Very sad after dropping $250 on a pedal.

Back