Mesa Five Band EQ Pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino.

Reaction score
Can the new five band EQ pedal be used as a clean boost as well?

Yes. Put it in the FX loop, and adjust the EQ pedal's input and output levels to suit. Boosting certain frequencies (like the mids) can have the effect of increasing "perceived volume" even in a unity gain pedal.

KiwiJoe said:
Yes. Put it in the FX loop, and adjust the EQ pedal's input and output levels to suit. Boosting certain frequencies (like the mids) can have the effect of increasing "perceived volume" even in a unity gain pedal.

Thanks for the response!
Could I replace my TS9 with the EQ pedal?
Does it work THAT well?

Dino. said:
KiwiJoe said:

Thanks for the response!
Could I replace my TS9 with the EQ pedal?
Does it work THAT well?
Replace your TS9? I wouldn't say "yes" automatically. That would be like asking if you could replace a nitrous system with a turbocharger on a racing engine. Two different pieces of equipment that perform similar tasks but give different results. Each pedal does something the other doesn't while at the same time doing similar things. The TS9 boosts the signal and adds distortion (in varying degrees of "noticeable") and enhances the mids. The EQ allows you to cut or boost certain frequencies and some, like the Mesa EQ, allow for an overall signal boost or cut on both the input and output sides. Enough boosting of the individual frequencies using the sliders in conjunction with setting the output and input levels high enough will result in a signal leaving the EQ "hotter" than it was before it got there.

I have an EQ (not a Mesa) and a Grid Slammer on my board. I use them for different things, sometimes I use them together.

If you don't have to sell the TS9 to afford the Mesa EQ, get the EQ and keep the TS9. Play around with both of them, separately and together. You may find that you can use the EQ for what you're doing with the TS now, or you may find that you really have no use for the EQ. I'd say that in the long run, though, a good EQ is a versatile piece of kit and a handy device to have.

Thanks KiwiJoe!
I just received the EQ pedal and haven't had a chance to use it yet.
I'm going to have to find room on my pedalboard.
Man, this thing really takes up some real estate!

So it is not the same as the built in GEQ. When the sliders are manipulated on the built in GEQ there is a dramatic difference in thickness, whereas the pedal doesn't have such a difference. Straight up, matching settings, it seems to me the pedal has about half the gain or "boldness" to it compared to the built in GEQ. I'll post a video in a bit to show everyone what I mean.

As promised, a video comparison of the 5 band pedal GEQ verses the built-in GEQ. Medium gain metal sound, Mark llC+ with a Gibson Les Paul with a EMG 81 in the bridge position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Griol1utfjk

Markedman said:
As promised, a video comparison of the 5 band pedal GEQ verses the built-in GEQ. Medium gain metal sound, Mark llC+ with a Gibson Les Paul with a EMG 81 in the bridge position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Griol1utfjk

TOOL! Good video, good clarification.

What really got me was how little difference the input and output gain had. My MXR micro-amp pedal can boost the lead level big time when it's in the loop. Experiment Complete!

Latest posts

Back