The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:05 pm 
Donating Member

Thank you so much for the reply, I've been really carefully thinking about this, not wanting to do any impulse buys. Just playing and dialing trying to pinpoint exactly what it is I'm wanting to hear. So far I think you're absolutely right, this is more of an EQ issue. I'm pretty sure it's a frequency I want to cut and add a bit to increase that punchy attack when playing rhythm that I love the Recto for.

I'm gonna take your advice on this one, will report back soon!
Great looking board, nice and clean!

Cheers,
Matt

- 2013 Dual Rectifier Reborn - Black Jute Grill
- Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Recto Cab

- Mesa Boogie Mark IV (sold)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:08 am 
Mark II

I have the Mesa Boogie Grid Slammer, Flux Drive and Throttle Box.
The Grid Slammer is very similar to the Maxon 808 both in sound and how it's built.
The Flux Drive is little more gain than Grid Slammer. It's very similar to Blues Breaker.
The Throttle Box is supposed to simulate Dual Rectifier.

I use most the Theottle Box with the gain almost at min with my Mark V 25 and it sounds great.
Turn the gain up to hear when the amp breaks up more and give the amp sound a more bite and grit.

I have also the Maxon 808, but it never give me the sound I want with the Mark V 25.

If you want to use a dirt pedal infront of the amp and don't want to change the sound too much, then a Booster or a transparent Overdrive is a better choice.

Dr B

Sterling by Music Man JP100D, LTD MH-350R (Crunch Lab & LiquFire), Ibanez EGEN-8 (DiMarzio Evolutions), Washburn N2 (modded to a N4), Washburn N1 (Gotoh tremolo, DiMarzio JBJ bridge, DiMarzio '59 neck), Dean C350F.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:51 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Wow, this thread still exists!

I purchased the Maxon OD808 shortly after my original post. I had read a lot, and I do mean a lot, of metal guitarists use the Maxon OD808 in front of their signal as a boost. Many consider it the "secret weapon" in their arsenal. Nergal from Behemoth and Adam D. from Killswitch Engage are just two: one from Black Metal and one from Metal core genres.

I have to say running the Gain at min and the Level at Max, with tone to taste, and the OD808 is pretty transparent but provides amazing response. It really cleans up the low end frequencies by providing essentially a solid state like response to the low end on tube amp.

I have read about a straight up comparison to the Grid Slammer, with the only difference being the Grid Slammer has more mids.