Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Bottle Rocket, V-1, V-twin.
Footcontrollers, midi switchers, amp switchers and Mesa Boogie products not covered.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

WMHaze
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:55 am

Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by WMHaze » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:08 am

Hello!

New to the Boogie Board, this is my first post!

I bought a used Dual Rec last year. It's not the multi-watt version but the version just before. Whoever had it before me knew what to do with it as they have some pretty nice pre and power tubes in it. The thing is such a blast to play.

I play metal anywhere from And Justice For All... Metallica or earlier, Slayer, Anthrax to more modern metal like Killswitch Engage, Unearthed, etc. I'm looking for an OD pedal to give me just a bit more out of Ch 3.

My question is getting a Mesa Grid Slammer going to be that much different than say a Maxon OD808? Or am I just paying for the Mesa name?

I have read many reviews, seen numerous posts, and searched YouTube and NO ONE has done a side by side comparson of these two pedals. So I'm at a loss as to which direction to go. If I buy a Grid Slammer it's a bit more challenging to obtain as none of my local music stores carry them but I can walk in and pick up a Maxon OD808.

Thanks in advance for any feedback/input/advice.

User avatar
KiwiJoe
Mark III
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by KiwiJoe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't know anything about the Maxon, but I do have a Grid Slammer. It's a great low-med gain pedal that I find useful both on its own as a "third channel" option over the clean channel and as a boost for one of the dirt channels on my Mini Rec. It's super quiet with nice, linear adjustments (no big "spike" anywhere in the sweep of any of the three controls), and it's built like a tank. Sure, it's a bit pricey, but I'm happy to pay for Mesa quality.
My Soundcloud
Mini Rectifier, Epi Dot 335
Once I stopped chasing tone, it stopped running away.

Laskyman
Mark IV
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Under the Big Sky...

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by Laskyman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

Grid Slammer is very similar to the TS 808-
*Laskyman*
Mesa Mark V head, Mesa Roadking 212 Cab
Fractal Audio Axe FX II
MFC 101 Mission EX Pedal
Zoom HD16/ Peavey Transformer 112
MIJ Ibanez 6's, Suhr Tele, BICH Exotic 10

User avatar
ryjan
Dual Recto
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Blistered Earth

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by ryjan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm

You shouldn't need anything more than a quality guitar and a cable to get those tones out of a Recto. Squashing everything with a pedal in front of such a great preamp is like putting ketchup on Kobe beef. :D
Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

Laskyman
Mark IV
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Under the Big Sky...

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by Laskyman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Personally, the TS circuit in front of a Recto sounds fantastic. Tightens the low end and turns it into a flamethrower....gain at zero- dime the volume on the pedal.
*Laskyman*
Mesa Mark V head, Mesa Roadking 212 Cab
Fractal Audio Axe FX II
MFC 101 Mission EX Pedal
Zoom HD16/ Peavey Transformer 112
MIJ Ibanez 6's, Suhr Tele, BICH Exotic 10

SonVolt
Mark III
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by SonVolt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:44 pm

I also agree that a Recto needs a Tubescreamer type boost to tighten it up. It's a little too loose and stiff without one.... makes a world of difference with my Triple.

TRENCHLORD
Mark II
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:19 am

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by TRENCHLORD » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:13 am

Never used grid-slammer but have tried most of the other main-brand equivalents;

Prefer maxon's 808 for brighter/tighter guitars, and their od9pro+ for warmer/rounder toned guitars. A lot of that has to do with the pickups of course.

User avatar
KiwiJoe
Mark III
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by KiwiJoe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:59 pm

SonVolt wrote:I also agree that a Recto needs a Tubescreamer type boost to tighten it up. It's a little too loose and stiff without one....
Care to elaborate? How/why would one tighten something that is already too stiff? How is something "loose" AND "stiff" at the same time?
My Soundcloud
Mini Rectifier, Epi Dot 335
Once I stopped chasing tone, it stopped running away.

User avatar
ryjan
Dual Recto
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Blistered Earth

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by ryjan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:17 pm

KiwiJoe wrote:
SonVolt wrote:I also agree that a Recto needs a Tubescreamer type boost to tighten it up. It's a little too loose and stiff without one....
Care to elaborate? How/why would one tighten something that is already too stiff? How is something "loose" AND "stiff" at the same time?
Guys will use a boost before the preamp because it simulates a heavy pick attack without having to have a heavy pick attack. Sorta like an attenuator makes you amp sound like its at full volume without the volume.
Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

SonVolt
Mark III
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by SonVolt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:17 pm

KiwiJoe wrote:
SonVolt wrote:I also agree that a Recto needs a Tubescreamer type boost to tighten it up. It's a little too loose and stiff without one....
Care to elaborate? How/why would one tighten something that is already too stiff? How is something "loose" AND "stiff" at the same time?

Maybe stiff is the wrong word. Lacks pick attack? The bass isnt as focused as it could be IMO. Palm mutes sound sharper and clearer with a boost, less flubby, more focused.

I don't use a boost with my Marks.

Dino.
Mark II
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 am

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by Dino. » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm looking to replace my TS9 with one of the new Mesa pedals but the problem I have is that all of the new pedals offered by Mesa are demo'd as distortion pedals over clean channels. So, I contacted Mesa and was told the Flux Drive is the best pedal for this application. :?:
* PRS and Gibson Guitars
* Mesa Dual Rectifier and 4x12 Recto Cabinet
* Peavey (1st gen) 5150 head w/ (2) Marshall 1960A/B 4x12 cabinets

User avatar
KiwiJoe
Mark III
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by KiwiJoe » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Dino. wrote:I'm looking to replace my TS9 with one of the new Mesa pedals but the problem I have is that all of the new pedals offered by Mesa are demo'd as distortion pedals over clean channels. So, I contacted Mesa and was told the Flux Drive is the best pedal for this application. :?:
Well, they would know! :lol: But, like I mentioned above, I have the Grid Slammer which, to me (and just about anybody else I've talked to who has one or has heard mine), is very TS-like. It has a slight mid-bump that doesn't seem to cut the lows, and it works great as a boost to my Mini Rec's "pushed" setting (already a bit crunchy) in the traditional "level maxed, gain backed all the way (or nearly all the way) off". It also works great over the clean channel as a low-gain, third channel OD option. It really sounds like a natural voice extension of the Mini Rec when used that way.

What I heard with the Flux Drive when I demo'd it through my Mini Rec side by side with the Grid Slammer is more of a "Mark amp in a box" kind of thing, capable of a bit more gain than the Grid Slammer. I thought it sounded better over the amp totally clean than as a boost for an already crunchy amp, but that's just me.

Honestly, though, I don't think you could go wrong with either pedal.
My Soundcloud
Mini Rectifier, Epi Dot 335
Once I stopped chasing tone, it stopped running away.

Dino.
Mark II
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 am

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by Dino. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 pm

KiwiJoe wrote:
Dino. wrote:I'm looking to replace my TS9 with one of the new Mesa pedals but the problem I have is that all of the new pedals offered by Mesa are demo'd as distortion pedals over clean channels. So, I contacted Mesa and was told the Flux Drive is the best pedal for this application. :?:
Well, they would know! :lol: But, like I mentioned above, I have the Grid Slammer which, to me (and just about anybody else I've talked to who has one or has heard mine), is very TS-like. It has a slight mid-bump that doesn't seem to cut the lows, and it works great as a boost to my Mini Rec's "pushed" setting (already a bit crunchy) in the traditional "level maxed, gain backed all the way (or nearly all the way) off". It also works great over the clean channel as a low-gain, third channel OD option. It really sounds like a natural voice extension of the Mini Rec when used that way.

What I heard with the Flux Drive when I demo'd it through my Mini Rec side by side with the Grid Slammer is more of a "Mark amp in a box" kind of thing, capable of a bit more gain than the Grid Slammer. I thought it sounded better over the amp totally clean than as a boost for an already crunchy amp, but that's just me.

Honestly, though, I don't think you could go wrong with either pedal.
Well, I called Mesa after reading this thread and was told the "Grid Slammer" is in fact what I would want to use to replace my tube screamer. I guess maybe I didn't explain myself clearly to the first person I spoke with. I dunno.
* PRS and Gibson Guitars
* Mesa Dual Rectifier and 4x12 Recto Cabinet
* Peavey (1st gen) 5150 head w/ (2) Marshall 1960A/B 4x12 cabinets

User avatar
Mystic-Creations
Donating Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:34 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by Mystic-Creations » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Hmmm after practicing today and then reading this post, I think I'm in need of something similar.

I just can't decide if it's more of an EQ issue, or do I need something on the front end to tighten everything up.
Using a Dual Rec Multiwatt, Channel 3 Modern, Diode, bold. I really like the punch the Recto has, I play mostly Rhythm and I like a very tight (not compressed) sound. I tend to run the gain around 10 or 11, any more and it gets really fizzy/hissy..... I might have to try this.

Would a grid slammer let me run a little higher bass without it getting flubby, control the hiss/fizz with a slightly higher gain setting?

Thank You,
Matt
- EBMM JP6 Mystic Dream
- Ibanez RG 7321

- 2013 Dual Rectifier Reborn - Black Jute Grill
- Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Recto Cab

- Mesa Boogie Mark IV (sold)


Image

Dino.
Mark II
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 am

Re: Mesa Grid Slammer vs Maxon OD808

Post by Dino. » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:43 am

Matt,
I think I know the sound you're looking for.
I too thought about replacing my Tube Screamer with a Grid Slammer but soon came to the conclusion that the Tube Screamer is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, just as your Maxon 808. Replacing it with a Grid Slammer might offer some variation but, if you're like me, I don't think it's quite the sound you're going for.

I opted to go with a Mesa 5-Band EQ pedal instead of another OD pedal and boy, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The EQ pedal allows me to drop the mids and fine tune the EQ in a way I could never do with the EQ from the amp. Though I use it in addition to my TS9, it does help tighten the gain even more and adds those natural harmonic overtones I've been longing for.

I strongly recommend the Mesa 5-Band EQ before buying another OD pedal.

Image
* PRS and Gibson Guitars
* Mesa Dual Rectifier and 4x12 Recto Cabinet
* Peavey (1st gen) 5150 head w/ (2) Marshall 1960A/B 4x12 cabinets

Post Reply