V-1 Bottle Rocket malfunctioning, please help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Mesa Boogie V-1 bottle rocket, and I love it. However, the power supply became intermittent when moving the cable around, to the extent where it was no longer usable. I attempted to fix the issue by re-soldering the wires at the jack end.

I was happy my soldering job. When testing the pedal the intermittent issue was gone, however now the pedal is not functioning properly; there is a high pitched whistle whenever I play a note, and generally it cuts out and sounds very bad. I am worried I have damaged the pedal - do you have any ideas what could have been damaged, and possibly how to fix the issue?

Kind regards,

Nik

Trouble shoot a step at a time...

Valves:
--->Replace valves with a known good valve one at a time and test pedal each time.
--->Valves can become microphonic.
--->If you removed the valves, maybe you cracked one putting it back. Check base of pins.
--->Are valves seated properly in socket?
--->Are valve pins making good contact with socket's terminals?
--->Use contact cleaner on valve pins and socket terminals and 'work' the valve in and out of the socket a few times to remove dirt/dust/oxidisation. Good contact cleaner will evaporate in 5~10minutes and not harm the electronics. (use contact cleaner on the pots, too and work them back and forth)

Check your soldering again:
--->There is no stray wire touching the other terminal on the jack?
--->No solder touching the other terminal on the jack?
--->When you put the sleeve over the terminal, are you sure the sleeve isn't pressing the terminals together? Insulate each terminal.

Is the power jack on the pedal OK?
--->Open pedal and check wires.
--->Power jack may be loose. Tighten.

Input / output jacks on pedal:
--->As per power jack above. Check.

While the pedal is open.....
--->Check for damaged / cracked PCB.
--->Check for dry solder joints an all components (there may be a dry or cracked solder on a valve socket pin?)
--->Check for loose components.

Cables:
--->Try different cables > guitar cable and patch cables.

Power supply:
--->Are you using this to power other pedals (daisy chaining)? Test on Bottle Rocket only.
--->Can you use another power supply to test Bottle Rocket?

Guitar:
--->Test with another guitar.

That's all I can think of.

Back