Throttle Box or Tube Screamer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino.

Reaction score
I'm looking to smooth out the gain and add some sustain to my Dual Rectifier.
Looking for more of a "metal" sound.

Would either a Throttle Box or Tube Screamer work?
If so, which would be best?

The Throttle Box is much higher gain than a Tube Screamer - its more in the range of Recto high-gain. You may be more interested in something like the Grid Slammer which is similar to the TS - or the Flux Drive which is a step above the drive from a TS, but with the independent Bass and Treble controls. Very versatile! Thanks!

+1 on the Grid Slammer. I've got a Grid Slammer running into my Mini Rec. I use it to boost a slightly crunchy "pushed" mode or to get just a bit of hair from "clean". It's got a subtle mid hump that adds just enough to rise above the mix.

I'm running my DR on "Bold / Silicon Diode".
It sounds best (to my ears) with these settings but I'm still unable to smooth out the gain.
I checked the tubes and found that it came with EL34's. This makes sense as it sounds a lot like a Marshall. Lots of punch and nice crunch. However, this doesn't always work well with metal (imo).

I know this is probably not the section to ask this question but would switching out the EL34's for 6L6's help smooth out the gain and make it tighter?

I really prefer NOT to have to use any sort of OD pedal with this amp.

Latest posts

Back