Throttle Box, or should I get an amp???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitaryzt1985

Reaction score
I currently play through a Dr Z Maz 18. I'm primarily a blues player when I gig, but my original music is Tremonti style metal. I can never really jive with a Boogie amp soley because I prefer a vintage style clean tone for 70% of what I do.

I was very interested in the Throttle Box when I saw it released. It "seems" like the answer to my problem, and would allow me to have the Boogie distortion coupled with my Z cleans. But, I'm a little concerned that the Z would color the dirty tone too much and give me a "bumblebee" in a box effect, much like when putting dirt boxes on an AC15 or AC30.

What do you guys think? Will I gain enough Mesa tone from this pedal to get a decent metal tone? Or, should I buy a Mini Rec to A/B with the Dr Z?

Got a throttle box sittin right in front of me. Not impressed at all. You may be happier with the Flux Drive. The Throttle Box seems to be trying too hard.
YMMV

Wampler Triple Wreck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjfEkC2-qo

In fact, three Wampler pedals I have are Triple Wreck, Pextortion and Pinnacle. All very good for my setup and gear. I can't say they'll be good for you for obvious reasons.

Jump on youtube and have a listen. Test some if you can.

Have you tried the Bigner red pedal? It's the only distortion pedal that really took me by surprise. It actually feels like a real amp.

gitaryzt1985 said:
...Or, should I buy a Mini Rec to A/B with the Dr Z?
If you can afford it, that's the ticket right there. With some intelligent fiddling with the Mini Rec's tone and volume controls it may surprise you beyond your expectations. I'm not a metal player at all, and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine even after an entire year with the amp.

I went the A/B route and I am extremely happy with my setup.

You not only get two great amps but then you can start blending them as well and that creates tons of new possibilities.

Make sure you get a good A/B one which you can switch the phase. I got the radial Big Shot. After trying a few others this worked the best.

Tech 21 Tri AC.

Not inexpensive but well made and worth the money.

Analog amp modeling by the maker of SansAmp. It will give you all the options you would ever want for Fender, Marshall and Mesa tones both clean and dirty. Runs a LONG time on a 9v battery or you can power it.

Most important, it is EASY to dial and save a tone setting and you get 3 presets.

I have done it on the fly at live gigs many times, a little tweak, hit the appropriate footswitch twice quickly and you are back in the game. Only takes a few seconds.

Many pedals have come and gone, this one stays.

Back