Tube screams

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbrad666

Reaction score
I want a tube screamer to go in front of my dual rec... What are some good choices ??? I play djenty metal ish type stuff..... Anybody????? Do the modified ones sound better??

regular TS9 is a fine choice. There are tons of clones (many inexpensive) that honestly sound just like one in a live setting.

I need another opinion...... What are some good noise gates?? I was thinking of getting an ISP decimator pedal or rocktron hush????? Others????

ISP Decimator G-String is a good option, perhaps a bit pricey.

Honestly I don't think a new TS is worth it, there are tons of clones that are even better than the "real deal". My friend builds them for parts money and they work and sound stellar. Which reminds me... get a DIY kit and make one yourself, fun way to spend free time :D

There's nothing wrong with the Ibanez Tube Screamer, really. Look for the Maxon ones.

get on ebay and grab a second hand maxon made ts9 from the 80's, they're the real deal, collectible which should hold their value, and cost about the same as the new ones

Hey guys, sort of off topic I have a tube screamer TS9DX. I like the sound, but when I use it with my dual rectifier it creates a consistent squealing/feedback noise, even on the clean channel.
The pedal works fine with anything else.
I have a reverb pedal (Electro harmonix Cathedral) that in a similar way just makes tonnes of feedback, so much so that it is not usable.
Anyone else have a similar experience? cheers.

Maybe put a good noise gate behind it, what are your settings on the ts9dx? I have mine set output 10 tone 12 drive 0 I get no feed back at all I have a ts808 but I do have an isp g string behind it

Thanks for the advice - I could try my noise suppressor, but it seems like a fundamental thing.
Yeah if I have the drive down on the screamer its fine, but turn it up a bit and it squeals.

I've tried my mates BOSS GT8 into my amp for a laugh once, and found it almost unusable, because even with only delay (no drive or anything), you have to have the settings turned way down or the amp just goes nuts squealing/feedback. Well it's not really feedback...

I've used my tubescreamer into a 5150 before and it worked fine, no 'squealing' noise.

Just wondering if anyone else has mesas that are tempremental with pedals. Cheers!

Back