Choosing a new Mesa, seeking the F series clean ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noseybonk

Reaction score
Hi

I thought i'd post to gather some opinions on the type of Mesa i'm trying to find that is as close as the sound i'm looking for .... I have looked at some of the old F series amps as i just fell in love with the clean tones they have, but i aren't so keen on the overdrive/crunch tones, i find them a bit flaccid sounding and am also looking for something a bit more loaded with features such as the Nomad was etc ... i bought a Nomad One Hundred combo with the EQ the other week but something went tits up in shipping so got my money back, devastated :(

I've been looking at the Stiletto series, they're great amps also ... just want to be sure i am fully satisfied when i upgrade. Who thinks what Mesa is closest to the F series clean sounds but also has a bit more to it feature wise and is hugely versatile?? if it exists then i'm interested! I've tried a good few out in my mates guitar store but most of his stuff is the modern era ... i've been looking at a Mesa Mark 3 head too that is going for an insanely good price ..

any help/feedback would be great thanks :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I currently have a Stiletto Ace Combo, it's an amazing amp even though I'm wanting to go back to a Dual Recto. Channel one in my opinion can still have some grit to it. I'm prefer the cleans in the Recto but that's just me. This amp sounds amazing and if you are looking for a more of Brit Clean/Crunch this amp is the one for you. I feel though that if it was a 3 channel amp and Channel one didn't offer and crunch in 3 mode switching it would be cleaner, but it shares the same circuitry and to me i can hear break up at gigging volumes. Good luck though!!

I have a Rev F Recto. The cleans were decent for a high gain amp of that era but they're kind mediocre by todays standards. In 2005 Mesa developed the Lone Star clean circuit and has since figured out how to add it to each of their amps, vastly improving what was available before.

So... unless you're hooked on the Rev F clean I'd suggest looking at something else. If you're hooked on the Rev F and nothing else will do then you're going to need to buy a Rev F, because no other Mesa amp has that style of clean circuit in it.

Back