Headphones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itresolve

Reaction score
Hello Chaps,
New to this site and Mesa Boogie kit. I am in need of practicing with the use of headphones at night.. Am I right in thinking I can plug-into the external speaker outlet? Or do I need to use a pedal of some sort? Attaching a V-Twin that has the Headphone output socket would answer my issue would it add any extra tone configuration to the Main Mk.5 Amp.

Definitely do not plug your headphones into the speaker output on your Mark V as you will fry your amp.
You need a proper speaker load on the amp. You should be able to find an attenuator with head phone output that
will suit your needs.

bcdon said:
Definitely do not plug your headphones into the speaker output on your Mark V as you will fry your amp.
You need a proper speaker load on the amp. You should be able to find an attenuator with head phone output that
will suit your needs.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am near to purchasing a S/Hand Mesa V-Twin for the headphone socket, but will this pedal corrupt the tone of the Mk. V or will the sound received be from the Mk.V or the V-Twin? Or both together? As you can see I am very new to “Electric Guitars”

itresolve said:
bcdon said:
will suit your needs.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am near to purchasing a S/Hand Mesa V-Twin for the headphone socket, but will this pedal corrupt the tone of the Mk. V or will the sound received be from the Mk.V or the V-Twin? Or both together? As you can see I am very new to “Electric Guitars”

I have found a Koch Loadbox ll 8 ohm Amp Attenuator for the same price of the Mesa V-Twin..I am not sure which one to purchase? If the Mesa V-Twin will add some extra tone configuration then I would go for the V-Twin. I am only looking to use the headphone a couple of evenings a week for a couple of hours. I am not looking to record or build a sound studio for a couple of three years. Help please I need to make a purchase within the next couple of days??
Thanks in Advance

Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of those products. However, why not just use the master volume? I have a Mark V and I play late night all the time at pretty low volume. You could also get AmpliTube http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube/ for late night jamming.

You can use the Mark's effects loop 'send' into the input of the V-Twin. There's no need to connect the V-Twin 'out' to the Mark's effects loop 'return' if you don't want to. I'm assuming that the Mark won't have any output because the effects loop 'return' is not used (the Mark's preamp is now isolated from it's power section)

Set the V-Twin to clean channel. The V-Twin will most likely colour the sound (I'm assuming this) as it will add it's own tone. It is a preamp after all.

Just watch out for the channel volume coming from the Mark into the V-Twin. If it's too high you'll distort the input side of the V-Twin.... *maybe* even do damage if it's too high, so start with a low channel volume from the Mark.

Plug headphones into V-Twin. Use good studio headphones (AKG make good ones for a fair price) if you want the best 'flattest response' sound possible. DJ headphones and HiFi headphones will colour your sound. Keep the Master output volume of the Mark at zero. You don't need to drive your speaker/s if you're using headphones.

With this setup you should also be able to blend the Mark's channels and V-Twin's channels to get different tonal flavours and further 'multi-channels'.

Without headphones:
Plug the V-Twin 'output' into the Mark's effects loop 'return'. Set the V-Twin's gain, Bass/Mid/Treble and master output volume to taste. Adjust Mark's master output volume to drive your speaker.

A word of caution..... DO NOT have the speaker/s of the Mark disconnected, regardless if you use headphones or not. You will damage the output transformer and you'll be up for $$$. Make sure your speaker is always plugged in before powering up.

Blaklynx said:
You can use the Mark's effects loop 'send' into the input of the V-Twin. There's no need to connect the V-Twin 'out' to the Mark's effects loop 'return' if you don't want to. I'm assuming that the Mark won't have any output because the effects loop 'return' is not used (the Mark's preamp is now isolated from it's power section)

Set the V-Twin to clean channel. The V-Twin will most likely colour the sound (I'm assuming this) as it will add it's own tone. It is a preamp after all.

Just watch out for the channel volume coming from the Mark into the V-Twin. If it's too high you'll distort the input side of the V-Twin.... *maybe* even do damage if it's too high, so start with a low channel volume from the Mark.

Plug headphones into V-Twin. Use good studio headphones (AKG make good ones for a fair price) if you want the best 'flattest response' sound possible. DJ headphones and HiFi headphones will colour your sound. Keep the Master output volume of the Mark at zero. You don't need to drive your speaker/s if you're using headphones.

With this setup you should also be able to blend the Mark's channels and V-Twin's channels to get different tonal flavours and further 'multi-channels'.

Without headphones:
Plug the V-Twin 'output' into the Mark's effects loop 'return'. Set the V-Twin's gain, Bass/Mid/Treble and master output volume to taste. Adjust Mark's master output volume to drive your speaker.

A word of caution..... DO NOT have the speaker/s of the Mark disconnected, regardless if you use headphones or not. You will damage the output transformer and you'll be up for $$$. Make sure your speaker is always plugged in before powering up.

-------------------------------------------------
Excellent information dude, Thank you very much.” I am going to get me one of them their, Mesa V Twins” I told her “you can take the children, but you leave me my monkey” Thanks once again It would of taken me a long time to work that out..

Forgot to mention that the V-Twin pedal came out in two versions. The second version has a narrow, long-ish cover plate held by two screws on the bottom. Unscrew the cover plate to access the pots. These pots allow you to balance the volume between the first and second channel on the pedal. Version one didn't have this ability.

I'm sure the serial number starting with V2 means a version two pedal. (see the label stuck on the top of the pedal from this photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcov3s55cshfslm/IMG_1453.JPG from the thread below) To make sure, ask the seller if there's the cover on the bottom of the pedal.

Here's a thread of a guy asking about the pots:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61602

Blaklynx said:
Forgot to mention that the V-Twin pedal came out in two versions. The second version has a narrow, long-ish cover plate held by two screws on the bottom. Unscrew the cover plate to access the pots. These pots allow you to balance the volume between the first and second channel on the pedal. Version one didn't have this ability.

I'm sure the serial number starting with V2 means a version two pedal. (see the label stuck on the top of the pedal from this photo https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcov3s55cshfslm/IMG_1453.JPG from the thread below) To make sure, ask the seller if there's the cover on the bottom of the pedal.

Here's a thread of a guy asking about the pots:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61602

Thanks Again; I am at present looking to purchase version two the one's up for sale on eBay at the moment are V-Twin ver.1 Read that the control knobs are different as with the Name plate.
Cheers

Back