Pedal for boosting Leads for my Mesa/boogie?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soul Power

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just looking for suggestions. I recently got a F-30 head and cab love this amp! Just wondering what you suggest, I play with another guitar player and am looking for a boost in volume and maybe mids. I already own a tubescreamer and a six band EQ. I ran the Ts into the front of my amp made it hotter but no volume boost. Would you reccomend the EQ put in the effects loop set to a frown for a good overall volume and mid boost? Or is there a better way still?

Thanks
SP

Just go over and put your foot through one of the other guitarist's speakers...that'll shut him up! :twisted:

Or, you could try a Fulltone Fat Boost. It has very little tone change, and 20+- db increase! Be sure to put it in your effects loop though, anything in front will push your pre amp and cause a tone/distortion change.
These puppies arent cheap, bout $160, but worth it in clearity.

SP -

I wonder what you've found out since your original post? I think your idea of putting the EQ in the fx loop is cool, as long as your master volume isn't up too high already (not a problem, but the relative impact will be reduced).

A "clean" boost should help nicely, but it depends on how you use it. I've loved hitting my main input preamp valve real hard with a Banzai Fireball, set as a clean boost. But this does drive the preamp to crunch, as any boost at that position will, so it doesn't remain "clean." Banzai also has the New Rising Sun II pedal (http://www.banzaieffects.com/products/nrs2.htm ) which can separately boost before the preamp and in the effects loop (drive the output tubes), simultaneously.

I'll bet your e.q. was fine, but I could also recommend the Tube Works Real Tube (much nicer with a low-gain 12AU7 instead of the 12AX7), or the Blue Tube pedal. And lots of players love the Xotic RC Boost - I wish I could personally recommend this, but I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet.

Of course, OneMoreAugust has the most elegant solution of all: try to convince your band mates to listen to each other, and to play with tasteful dynamics. Sure saves money on gear!

I used a 'passive cut' between the pre and power amps of my MK2C+. The pedal I use is called the 'SoloBooster' and is made by Award Session here in the UK. The idea of the pedal is that it cuts the volume between the pre and power amps, so when playing rhythm the pedal is on reducing the volume and when off the full volume goes through. In that way my tone remains un-coloured by any 'boost' pedals. Web address:
http://www.award-session.com/solobooster.html
Ian

Many players are unaware of the issue of 'headroom' with trying to boost solo volume through the front end of the amplifier.

If you have a moderate to sizeable amount of gain dialed into your dist channel, you can't get your volume boost there. Why? Because you've got the gain turned up already, so there is no room for the signal in the tubes to go so to speak.

An analogy I could use is this- If your have your foot on the throttle of your automobile, and it's already down to the floor; simply pressing harder on it will not get you any more speed. You've already taken it as far as it can go. So it is with a preamp tube, when you have a considerable amt of gain already dialed in, you may sqaush the tube with more signal, but it will only get over-saturated...it will not get you a volume boost.

If, OTOH, you run a dirt box or EQ for that matter, into the clean channel of an amp, or set said channnel clean, you haven't eaten up the headroom that tube has to offer. So, in this case, you CAN get a volume boost slapping some more signal into it.

Do f-30's have an FX loop? If so, you could use a volume pedal in the loop or a volume box? I did this with my Tremoverb, I found a volume box on ebay that had a volume konb on it and a foot switch. I'd run the volume down on about 7 and when it was time for a lead I'd step on the switch and turn off the volume box to let the Boogie be at full volume...... which acted like a boost.

You can get those boxes for $20 on ebay.

tele_jas said:
Do f-30's have an FX loop? If so, you could use a volume pedal in the loop or a volume box? I did this with my Tremoverb, I found a volume box on ebay that had a volume konb on it and a foot switch. I'd run the volume down on about 7 and when it was time for a lead I'd step on the switch and turn off the volume box to let the Boogie be at full volume...... which acted like a boost.

You can get those boxes for $20 on ebay.

That's a great approach that some players use, but it may be a problem if you have a parallel & not a series loop.

Oops, I can't believe I forgot about that :roll: , I had to get my T-verb modded to be able to do that... Man, I can't even use the excuse that it's too early 8)

I have a TMB and I love it. It is exactly a Katana and a Java boost in one box. AS long as you have the headroom to stuff the front end ot the amp the TMB will increase the volume. IF the preamp is already saturated then you will get a fuller sound ... maybe, but no increase in volume. The Java boost side (Vintage) tweeks the high mids and will put you in front of the mix and make you stand out more. I use this alot as it does NOT increase the volume.

Good Luck.

I use a Fulltone OCD to accomplish this with the gain dialed out so I dont get more gain, just more boost. A fatboost works great as well.

Have you considered A MXR Micro Amp. MXR state that " This device adds a preset amount of gain, using a single control. With a guitar, this lets you boost your signal for lead work, adjust between two different guitars with unmatched output (i.e., humbucker to single coils), or it can supply a permanent boost in a long effects chain where signal drop off is a problem." They are reasonably priced so definately worth considering.

Latest posts

Back