refinish Mesa cab in truckbed liner?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrafied

Reaction score
A while ago I picked up an 80's slant halfback cab that turned out had whack speakers in it (I couldn't try it at the time I bought it, they looked fine but two had tears and two didn't work at all). So I dropped some extras I had in it and moved it to the practice space where my drummer's cats proceeded to shred the tolex beyond repair.

I just started to recondition it, pulled off all the tolex and filled in all the holes. I run rack gear so I decided to "patch" it out to make it a straight cab since straight 80's halfbacks are impossible to find around here. I decided to have it covered in truck bed liner (Rhinoliner). I did this to a rolling rack that I built and was pleased with the finish, so I was curious to know if anyone else has ever covered a cab with the stuff? Good idea, OK idea or DO NOT DO???

Once it's recovered I plan on dropping in a standard set of MC-90s (don't have yet) and EVM-12Ls (already have) and adding casters...

jason

I think it will turn out pretty good too. Though I haven't gotten to work on it as much over the past two months. I'm still filling in holes to prepare for the liner finish. Almost got that done. The build out to make it a straight profile cab turned out nice, though I did have to use some particle board as I couldn't source decent plywood that had the right thickness. I hope it won't matter, as it is filling out basically what wasn't there to begin with!

Just a bit more sanding before I take it to get "lined" Hoping it won't cost more than about $200. My previous project which has a little less surface area to cover but was more complicated in the masking job they had to do was around $150.

Anyone interested in pics of the build out and the finished product? Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the cab before and immediately after I ripped the tolex off...

I have one of those Boogafunk thiele cabs. Pretty new, but still looks great after a year, love it

Back