Dumb newbie questions on fx pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titan7

Reaction score
So I finally broke down and picked up a Boss BCB60 pedal board to place my tuner, Noise Suppressor, Super Chorus, And Fulltone OCD. I hooked everything up the signal goes like this:

Guitar>Boss pedal box input>tuner>Noise Suppressor>Chorus>OCD> DR input. I am not using the fx loop? Should I be? Are they in the right order if there is such a thing?

Also I have 3 more slots open, any suggestions on other must have fx?

thanks!

It's entirely up to your ears.

If it were me, I would put the OCD in the loop of the NS-2, and the chorus in the FX loop.

There will be different opinions on the chorus. If you want it to be clean and clear, the loop is the way to go. If you want it to be affected by the distortion to get a more artifact-y sound, then leave it where it is.

I think a delay in the loop is indispensable. I really like the Time Factor and Flashback, but even a DD-3 will do wonders.

I would run the tuner on a side chain, rather than in series with the guitar signal. The BCB might have a "tuner out" jack. Depending on the tuner, it might be true bypass, so it may not matter.

I think the MXR EVH Phase 90 is the best effect I've ever owned. The EVH Flanger is great if you're playing VH, and OK for other stuff. Both work great in front of the overdrive.

And a wah...

titan7 said:
So I finally broke down and picked up a Boss BCB60 pedal board to place my tuner, Noise Suppressor, Super Chorus, And Fulltone OCD. I hooked everything up the signal goes like this:

Guitar>Boss pedal box input>tuner>Noise Suppressor>Chorus>OCD> DR input. I am not using the fx loop? Should I be? Are they in the right order if there is such a thing?

Also I have 3 more slots open, any suggestions on other must have fx?

thanks!
So-called "normal" would be:
Guitar>Boss pedal box input>tuner>OCD>Chorus>Noise Suppressor>DR input.

Overdrive/distortion goes before modulation (chorus, flanger, phaser), but many like the other way around. It's like, do you do the salt, then the lemon, then the tequila, or another way? It's really a matter of taste.
If you want real old school, remember they didn't have fancy-pants effects loops back in the day, so everything went between the guitar and the amp's input. Putting the chorus, then noise suppressor in the loop would be a bit more modern approach, especially if you use the amp's overdrive channel.
Reverb and delay pedals seem to be the flavor of the moment as far as 'must have" FX go. They usually sound better in the effects loop, unless you run your amp clean all the time and use the OCD first in the chain for all the dirty parts. At this point you need to experiment to find the best place for the noise eater so that the "trails" of the reverb or delay don't get cut off unnaturally.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back