Pedals for Express 5:50 (rookie)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
Greetings. Still learning, but wanted to seek input for my first effects pedal for my 5:50 Express 1X12. I've heard that a good overdrive pedal is a great place to start.

Also, what might the next pedal be? Into 70's and 80's rock- April Wine, Van Halen, Stones, and absolutely AC/DC!

Should I get a pedal board that has input/output and power connections too? I only see ending up with 4-5 pedals max, just for learning at home but who knows?

Thanks for any suggestions, and rock on!

There are a lot of options for a briefcase-style pedal case. I prefer the hard cases because you can bolt everything down including an AC power supply and it's neat and effective. Definitely recommend the power supply. Dunlop DC brick is a good one, but you can use almost any supply with a splitter.

Stuff I recommend:
Overdrive. For flexibility, the 5:50 (and F50) are probably best set for low-ish gain (AC/DC style) and coupled with an overdrive. I use both the OD808 and BB Preamp. They are very nice, and also different from each other. There are a million varieties. I recommend that you pick a good one early, rather than playing with 20 different $39 version before finding the light.

I set up my tone like this:
Clean: Very clean
Clean + Overdrive: a bit of dirt, bluesy drive
Gain: Moderate Distortion
Gain + Overdrive: Heavier Rhythm and Clear Leads
Gain + Contour + Overdrive: Over the top rhythm, singing leads

That's a lot of flexibility for an amp and one pedal.

After that, I find a phaser (MXR EVH phase 90) and delay (almost any will do) awfully nice to have.

For vintage delay (tape loop style) the Time Factor, El Capistan and Flashback are good choices. The FB is cheapest and smallest. I have used a Boss DD-3 for decades, and that's a good cheap serviceable delay, but these days there is so much more available.

I also use a boost for leads. I have both an MXR micro amp and a BB EP booster for this. Both are great.

You'll want a tuner. I have used a TU-2 for years and recently got a TC Polytune. Both are great.

Then a good wah is indispensable.

A volume pedal could be used in place of a volume boost pedal, and also for volume swells, but I have found that if I'm pressed for space it's the first pedal I discard.

I highly recommend using the amp's FX loop. I typically run:

In front of amp:
Tuner
Wah
Phaser
Flanger
Overdrive
Distortion

In loop:
EQ (can be used as a boost, too)
Chorus
Delay
Boost

I also like to have my amp switch in the case as well.

Once it gets out of hand, you should look at the Pedaltrain cases. They are REALLY nice. I'm running a PT Pro, but it's way out of hand. The smaller ones have optional hard briefcases that are reasonably nice.

My briefcase and what it turned into:

Pedalbriefcase.jpg

Pedalboard.jpg

A couple added notes:

In the briefcase, you can see the EQ is set just for boost. It is also common to set them for a mid boost and volume boost to help cut through a mix.

Because I run 5 wires between the amp and board (4 signal plus channel switcher), I bought a Monster cable sheath to bind them into a snake. Works GREAT.

For ease of setup, I marked each of the 4 cables with a different color of electrical tape, as well as the pedal that they plug into. Same at the amp end.

Thanks Elvis, that is exactly what I was looking for! I will look at the Pedaltrain cases and a good overdrive box first. I agree with quality vs quantity, and building slow. As I am still learning to play, and far from gigging, I will get to know the overdrive pedal throroughly before adding siblings.

I appreciate how thorough you were with pics and everything! With that many effects you must have an endless pot of creativity from which to draw from. I'll report back when i get back from GC!

Thanks again.

You're welcome!

It may help you to know that I have gigged the small setup very successfully, but not the larger one. That one has been a grand experiment for me over the last few months to sample a lot of stuff and see what sticks. When I am just jamming, it's great, as you mentioned, that I have a lot of flexibility. But this past week I started practicing songs for my band, and I either stick to a couple pedals only, or wind up tripping over them and struggling to keep up with the song. I expect this will evolve into a smaller streamlined setup just slightly more complicated than the briefcase, plus a home-use-only board for fun/studio stuff.

If I were to guess right now what the gigging board will be:

In front:
TC Polytune
Wah
Phase 90
BB Pre
Tube Driver (I just recently learned the beauty of fuzz)
MAYBE the compressor (still have a love-hate relationship with it)

In Loop:
Time Factor (or Flashback if I'm really pinched for space)
EP Booster

Good luck, and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back