Wireless with Mesa. Good? Bad? ...Ugly?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBoogie

Reaction score
I just ordered the L6 DR-50 wireless rig. it is my first one since I have proven myself to be a bit of a klutz when wired.

But, I am wondering about some posts in other forums about problems with wireless rigs. What's the DL on Mesa (esp Dual Recto) with wireless?
Any known issues I need to be aware of?

I've been using my Sennheiser ew100 G2 for years with different Mesa amps. Nomad, DC-3, 5 and 10, Stiletto. Also Ampeg Reverbrocket and a modeling rig. Never a problem and always sounds good. I don't know about the posts you read but I suspect some people have trouble with cheaper units. I don't think you can expect good results with a $100 wireless device.

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the Sennheiser rigs also. (good reviews) Decided on the L6 mainly due to its good reviews and immediate availability. I hope it is a good one as well.

My main concern is that there are no technical issues/cautions associated with plugging it in to a Recto.

thank you again for the feedback.

domct203 said:
I've been using a Line6 G90 with my Roadster for about 8 months now with no issues at all.

That's really good to know. The G50 is the same tech with an shorter range and fewer channels (If I remember correctly).
So, it should be good to go.

I tried it out on a friend's Mesa DR Solo yesterday. It sounded real good.
Definitely a keeper.

Thanks for all the input. It's nice to know how other folks get along with "All this machinery... making modern music"

I own the Line 6 Relay 50 and tone wise I've had great results. The only issue I've had is if you're not careful the input for the wire on the transmitter can become loose causing the wire to come cut out for a few seconds while playing, especially if you are active on stage. I need to examine exactly what is causing it, but regardless it's still under warranty, so I'm not worried.

So far, I am very pleased with mine. With one exception...

The wire from transmitter to guitar is a bit too short when I attach the transmitter at my side. I find that it pulls when I reposition myself or the guitar. I really wish they had made it about 5 inches longer.
It's not so much of an issue when connected to a LP style guitar. But, with the Strat's jack being around the front, length becomes a bit of an issue. It forces me to wear the transmitter closer to my front which is not really comfortable for me.

I was actually wondering if they made longer connectors for these. Guess I should exercise my google skills.

WannaBoogie said:
So far, I am very pleased with mine. With one exception...

The wire from transmitter to guitar is a bit too short when I attach the transmitter at my side. I find that it pulls when I reposition myself or the guitar. I really wish they had made it about 5 inches longer.
It's not so much of an issue when connected to a LP style guitar. But, with the Strat's jack being around the front, length becomes a bit of an issue. It forces me to wear the transmitter closer to my front which is not really comfortable for me.

I was actually wondering if they made longer connectors for these. Guess I should exercise my google skills.

I bought a backup cable from these folks for my Sennheiser. Great service and lifetime warranty, which I've used without a hitch. http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=X2

MJ Slaughter said:
I bought a backup cable from these folks for my Sennheiser. Great service and lifetime warranty, which I've used without a hitch.

Cheers!
That's a great find! I'll have one straight away! 24" will be perfect.

Well, except for my Heartbreaker because it is in the shop awaiting all new MM xformers, I have used my new L6 G50 with all my amps (see list in sig). I A/B'd it with 20 ft cords. Very clear and I have not had to use the dB "cord length" buffer switch at all. Probably because I use a 20 ft cable from my front stage pedal board rig to the receiver which sits under or off right to the amp I use; I have an amp stand for the combos. I have been using my 1980 Samson wireless for live work since I first bought it in 1980. I never knew why it seemed a little more overdriven then when I used a cable until I read about Angus in AC/DC liking the kind of analog wireless which added some boost and crunch which the Sampson seems to do but not as great as the old early wireless unit Angus used.

The G50 is extremely clean which is what it is supposed to be with the "as if you are playing directly with a cable" type of promo I have been reading. I researched a lot of wireless units and am very happy with the G50. Now I have very bell like chimey tone with the clean channels and get the guitar and amp to sing in the Mesa's breakup area. I no longer lose definition with the notes nor am I lost in the on stage mix while the sound techs have to "adjust" for my lost "something" in tone and clarity.

One very cool thing for me is that the G50 doesn't care if you switch it off at the wrong time or the batteries get drained. The Samson would squeal when I lost battery power or, being a little dumb, would switch off the Samson before placing my amp in standby.

Two things to be aware of;
1) the 200' limit is spot on. Of course if there is a large metal barrier in the way you could drop signal as well. I walked down the street from an open line of sight with the amp using the wireless and playing. Lasted about 2 good city blocks. Walking around the house and then out the back door to my yard I only lost signal when I was infront of my fireplace. Once around it I had signal again. Though unlike the Samson which would slowly fizzle and then return when I was approaching a limit in distance, this one is clear all the way then "poof" nothing.

2) I used the Lithium batteries and noticed the unit did not respond as clear or consistant as with the regular old (and cheaper) alkaline batteries. Since the display shows my battery life (about 8.4 hours with 2 AA alkalines) I am happy to pay $9.59 for 24 AA alkalines and just monitor the battery level light on the receiver as well. Better then paying $11.00+ for 4 Lithium AA batteries since they only lasted about 17 hours anyway and took away some of the clarity I like with the G50 using the alkalines.

There is my 2 cents :?

Dennis

PS: I am going to buy the "improved cable" Line 6 sells for this unit. I don't have any problems and use this by clipping it to my right back pocket. The standard cable works with my Pauls, Strats, Firebird, etc with no length problem for me. I just want to see what the "special" cable does. I am also toying with the idea of buying one more of the transmitters to see if I can have two transmitters work with the one receiver. The idea is to build a "pocket" into my straps then have the transmitter on the strap for each instrument I use. I have yet to call Line 6 but I am going to.

So there was my 3 cents :lol:

MJ Slaughter said:
I bought a backup cable from these folks for my Sennheiser. Great service and lifetime warranty, which I've used without a hitch. http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=X2

Thanks for the link. Good to know we have choices. 8)

Dennis

Dennis... I did not know about the improoved cable Line 6 offers... is there a link for this product?

khingpynn said:
is there a link for this product?

Go to this ;

http://line6.com/store/

Then click in the bottom on "replacement parts" next click in the left column on "wireless parts and accessories". Drill down and you should see several based upon the model. I wasn't sure if each login request issues the same session number otherwise I would have put the whole link in ... but if I am right it would have sent you into never never land - though not a bad place to be at times :lol:

Not sure if the "Mogami wire" is hype but I am going to find out. :shock:

Dennis

jpdennis said:
Not sure if the "Mogami wire" is hype but I am going to find out. :shock:

If my understanding of Mogami cables is correct, your signal will be so clean it will be as if there are no wires anywhere in your rig! 8)

I am hoping to get a live-in head case with rackmount spaces (to make life easy and sexy simultaneously) and putting a Line 6 G90 in the upper area of the rack stuff.

Had a chance to try the G90 out at a Guitar Center (they were really nice to me, letting me try out a unit still in the factory packaging) and it was so clear and bright I started disliking the Fender I was playing, it got even more bright and twangy, but even so, absolutely crystal clear, clean signal.

big_red said:
... Had a chance to try the G90 out at a Guitar Center (they were really nice to me, letting me try out a unit still in the factory packaging) and it was so clear and bright I started disliking the Fender I was playing, it got even more bright and twangy, but even so, absolutely crystal clear, clean signal ...

Since I use the G50 and the cable I connect with is 20' (using 4CM and keeping the receiving unit back by the amp) I did not use the "cable length adjustment". That is what Line 6 said they developed because it has the potential to sound as if you are directly soldered to the amp (WOW what a thought). It does give you great clean & clear tone. I have tried many other units and always had the "boost effect" which never allowed me to really get that "direct cable" clarity. I use the G50 with all my amps and the results are the same - GREAT! 8)

Dennis

Latest posts

Back