Mesa Boogie Recto 2 x 12 cab manual

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy56

Reaction score
I wrote to Mesa Boogie over 9 days ago and still have not gotten a reply yet.
I purchased a TA15 new, and a new 2 x12 cab that I did not even know was a
"recto", but it was the floor model, so all I got was the wheels already installed
and a cover for it.
I looked online and there is no manual that covers what is inside or how
to use the 4 vs 8 ohm jacks or any info I would like to know.
If someone has the manual, could you please scan it and upload it ???

There is so much to learn about the TA15 alone......wow the sound is really nice.

happytogether.jpg

I am wondering if anyone thinks its a bad idea to mess with the cab, cutting it to
make it a convertable so you have choice of sounds?

Thanks for your help.

I forgot to ask about the logo on the cab. I see pictures of other cabs and its nice and small.
This logo is right in the way of the 2 speakers and I would think it would have a really
big influence on the sound bouncing around in a closed cab....... I would be interested
in knowing what others think about this....Im just a newb, and my ears are not that
great anymore, so it prolly does not make a difference, but I cant help but wonder
if its so big because MB figured many pro's would be using this on stage and MB wanted
to make sure the name could be seen......

MesaCross.jpg

Thanks for your info and input.

Mike

I got an email from a person named Mike, but he only gave me his phone number to call him and did not
send me a pdf version of the manual that should have come with the 2 x 12 REC cab. I tried to call,
but they are only available from mon to thur, and I am working 12 hours a day in a place where I cannot
have a cell phone. I leave for the hour drive to work at 5:15am and Im home at 7:40, so I wrote back
in email format my request again that I would like a manual. I only have weekends to play now, and
Im so tired from work, I dont even want to pick up a guitar until my muscles get re-acquainted with
working hard outside on the shorefront in the winter all day long, pulling wires off of reels into pipes and
installing fiber optic cable in orange tubing.

HELP......

I dont even turn on my computer to check my mail for a few days as I have to shower and eat
and have only 1.75 hours to myself before bedtime.

Appreciate some help from anyone on the wiring of the speakers inside the cab, and what happens when I
plug my TA15 jack cord into the 4 ohm instead of the 8, on both the amp and speakers cab...will the sound
be not only softer or different, louder or what???? Most importantly, I can do it and not hurt anything, and what is recommended for what kind of sounds.

the 2x12 recto horizontal cab comes from the factory with 2 celestion V30's wired at 8 ohms mono, and i believe the TA-15 should only have one 4 ohm output and one 8 ohm output. the correct way to hook them up is to connect an unshielded speaker cable from the TA-15's 8 ohm output to the cab's 8 ohm input. you can also connect it using the 4 ohm output, as it would be a safe mismatch. you might lose some volume, and the amp's response will be a little saggier and less authoritative because the amp will be running a little cooler. your amp should be be fine this way though. just remember to always have the amp plugged into a speaker before using it though. mesa amps wont complain too much about mismatches, but if theres no load connected, it'll cook itself.

speaker cabs dont come with manuals. and if there was one, it probably wouldnt tell you anything the jack plate on the back of the cab wont. you can find the specs on the cab's page on MB's website, and proper ways to hook up the cab can be found in the amp's manual.

guitarguy56 said:
I am wondering if anyone thinks its a bad idea to mess with the cab, cutting it to
make it a convertable so you have choice of sounds?

i'm not exactly sure what you mean here, but i would advise you against making any modifactions unless you know exactly what youre doing.

guitarguy56 said:
I forgot to ask about the logo on the cab. I see pictures of other cabs and its nice and small.
This logo is right in the way of the 2 speakers and I would think it would have a really
big influence on the sound bouncing around in a closed cab....... I would be interested
in knowing what others think about this....Im just a newb, and my ears are not that
great anymore, so it prolly does not make a difference, but I cant help but wonder
if its so big because MB figured many pro's would be using this on stage and MB wanted
to make sure the name could be seen......

i havent personally done any A/B tests to prove this, but i'd imagine any sound degradation would be negligible.

Thank you very much for letting me know that its a bad thing to turn in on without anything hooked up.

I did it twice for a minute to take a picture with the blue light on......but wont do that anymore.

I am very happy with the sound of my new amp and cab and now that I put some
Humbuckers in my strat and made it into a HSH, it really rocks !!!

I never did get a manual. I was wondering if I could use the output jack on my rectifier and plug it into my Marshall MG-30 amp for more sound???? Thanks for info.

guitarguy56 said:
I never did get a manual. I was wondering if I could use the output jack on my rectifier and plug it into my Marshall MG-30 amp for more sound???? Thanks for info.

No. You'll likely ruin both amps that way. The output is for daisy chaining into a second cab.

There is no manual for the cab. The instructions are in the TA15 manual starting on page 21. The diagram you want is diagram #1 on page 23... upper left hand corner.

Run a speaker cable from your amp's 8ohm output into the cab's 8ohm input and call it a day.

guitarguy56 said:
I was wondering if I could use the output jack on my rectifier and plug it into my Marshall MG-30 amp for more sound???? Thanks for info.
As screamingdaisy said, this would end horribly for both amps.

Besides, why even bother with a shitty Marshall MG when you have a Transatlantic? :D

Back