OD pedal for my roadster, help please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akachanj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am soon to be a mesa convert once my roadster gets here. Need a little help on a decision for my next od pedal. Here is my setup and style:
Guitar: Schecter S-1 w/ Duncan Distortion and 59
I play everything from blues to deathcore metal. I know different pedals suit different amps better. I used to run an OCD intoy old jcm-800. Doesn't mean it's great with Mesa though. I've never been an Ibanez TS fan either.
I would like another OCD but I have been reading alot about the Xotic BB Preamp MB. The stores up here in anchorage don't have either of these pedals so I can't try them out. Amy suggestions?

I use the Boss Turbo Overdrive OD-2 in front of my Dual Rectifier. It works very well! You can also try the Maxon's OD-9 and OD808. These are just a few that proved to work fine with Rectifiers (and other amps too). Its more a question of taste than good tone. Pretty mutch every OD do his work, you just have to tweak it around.

I just listened to a Plimsoul demo vs an OCD. The Plimsoul sounded crisper with more presence than the OCD. The OCD has a great low end to it but I don't need that playing this kind of amp right? I think the Plim would tighten the amp up better and I think thats the type of pedal I am looking for. Unfortunately, I have a limited variety of pedals I can try. I did try a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, not bad; but I am still wanting to hear other opinions.

Decision made! Did some searching in older threads. I looked away from Fulltone and checked out the Xotic BB on their website. Nice pedal but then I saw and listened to the BB Plus. Fat overdrive and awesome clean boost=Done deal. I will be ordering it tomorrow.

Its expensive, but I think is a good choice. A while ago I've downloaded this BB schematic so my cousin can make it! ;)

Before I was going to order the BB plus, I stumbled across a thread talking about Lovepedal. I checked them out (Kanji, E6, Kalamazoo, and Fuse) and they all sound amazing. :mrgreen:
Is there anyone who has experience with these or has advice on which Lovepedal would tighten a Mesa up the best.

I've been though many boosts/overdrives for my recto.

OCD-great pedal but didn't work too well with the Mesa
TS9-too flat, thin and piercing sounding unless the tone knob was at 9:00 or lower, and even then not great sounding
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde-808 clone that sounded great but too noisy
Maxon 808-one of the best od's ever and perfect for the Mesa (rectos love 808s)
Lovepedal Eternity-awesome on the clean channel as its own overdrive, and decent for boosting. IMO it's better as just an overdrive through the clean channel. As a boost it's similar to a TS9 but more open and natural sounding, but others are better such as the Maxon 808 and the BB.
Boss DS1-meh
MXR Classic OD-pretty awesome, similar to the Maxon 808 but not quite as good
MXR Zakk-nice and barky, but gets a little too dirty sounding when boosting the gain channels
Xotic BB-The best, period! Boogies just love this pedal! I've used the standard BB and I currently own the BB+ and it's just made for the Boogie sound and feel!

If you try the +, give both sides a try as they both have unique characteristics as a boost. Lately I've been using the Blue channel.

Yeah, I ordered the Lovepedal Fuse. I couldn't pass it up. I still want to try the BB+ but nobody in Alaska sells these. I will have to wait and purchase one later or if I hate the fuse, I will turn around and sell it. Oh well, trial and error. Thats the only bad thing about wanting gear that nobody sells in your area.
and +1 on the Jekyll & Hyde. I really loved it but the noise and feedback from it was crazy. The bass boost on it was awesome though. Especially since I owned a JCM 800 at the time.

glassjaw7 said:

TS9-too flat, thin and piercing sounding unless the tone knob was at 9:00 or lower, and even then not great sounding
Lovepedal Eternity-awesome on the clean channel as its own overdrive, and decent for boosting. IMO it's better as just an overdrive through the clean channel. As a boost it's similar to a TS9 but more open and natural sounding, but others are better such as the Maxon 808 and the BB.
Boss DS1-meh
MXR Zakk-nice and barky, but gets a little too dirty sounding when boosting the gain channels
Xotic BB-The best, period! Boogies just love this pedal! I've used the standard BB and I currently own the BB+ and it's just made for the Boogie sound and feel!

If you try the +, give both sides a try as they both have unique characteristics as a boost. Lately I've been using the Blue channel.

FWIW the MXR Classic Overdrive is the SAME circuit as the GT-OD & The ZW-OD. I'm sure it's been covered here somewhere before, if not there is a cool link with gut shots of the pedal over on The Gear Page. Basically, they put the circuit board in a new tube screamer-esque housing and made it a limited $30 door banger deal for Black Friday last year. So, I got one for $30 and it's the same pedal as previously mentioned. Inside the pedal ON TOP of the circuit board (you need to remove the knobs) you can switch between the GT and the ZW. To my ears, the ZW has less of a TS type mid-hump. Either one makes a good boost. You can still find them around for not too much cash.

Here's a pic of one that someone modded to have an external switch to flip between ODs without taking it apart each time.

MXRCLODswitch2.jpg

The Maxon OD808 is a classic pairing with a Recto, particularily if your goal is to tighten up the response. It blends so well with my 2 channel that you don't get that "playing through a pedal" feeling you typically get when using an OD.

That said, the OD808 doesn't seem to jive well with my Roadster. It kind of sits on top of the tone instead of melding with it... if that makes any sense?

I found my Roadster works really well with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet.

Try a Digitech Bad Monkey. Way less expensive and great results. I've tried the Maxon OD808, the TubeScreamer Ts9DX and some others. Liked the Bad Monkey enough to buy one. Not to say that it was better than the others. They all sound different and I liked it when I had my Roadster.

Of course, it may not meet the narcisistic needs for some people... it is not "boutique"...

Lots of good recommendations. The biggest thing to look for is an OD that doesnt boost the bottomend a bunch. Or in otherwords try to find on that rolls off a touch of bottom - like a tubescreamer. Maybe an SD-1 is a good starting point for you. The OCD is an awesome OD but I prefer my stock OD808 best with my Tverb. Just buy used and try many

jetdriver said:
glassjaw7 said:

Boss DS1-meh
MXR Zakk-nice and barky, but gets a little too dirty sounding when boosting the gain
channels

If you try the +, give both sides a try as they both have unique characteristics as a boost.
Lately I've been using the Blue channel.

FWIW the MXR Classic Overdrive is the SAME circuit as the GT-OD & The ZW-OD. I'm sure it's been covered here somewhere before, if not there is a cool link with gut shots of the pedal over on The Gear Page. Basically, they put the circuit board in a new tube screamer-esque housing and made it a limited $30 door banger deal for Black Friday last year. So, I got one for $30 and it's the same pedal as previously mentioned. Inside the pedal ON TOP of the circuit board (you need to remove the knobs) you can switch between the GT and the ZW. To my ears, the ZW has less of a TS type mid-hump. Either one makes a good boost. You can still find them around for not too much cash.

Here's a pic of one that someone modded to have an external switch to flip between ODs
without taking it apart each time.

MXRCLODswitch2.jpg

Yes sir, I found out about that "secret switch" recently:) Love this pedal, especially for $30!
The GT-OD and Zakk circuits are both good with the recto, which I like.

Just spoke to Ant at electrick garage/Maxxplay about installing a toggle and doing a custom refinish just to have a unique look. I could always do it myself too...

Latest posts

Back