overdrive pedal recommendations for LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimme789

Reaction score
what overdrive pedal to create singing, sustaining notes while soloing
do you recommend ?

Most use will be with a humbucker equipped guitar into a Lonestar Classic.

TIA

Can't go wrong with a modded tubescreamer! :D

BTW if youre interested in having a tubescreamer modified for WAY less than Keeley, PM me!

I just heard an Xotic BB and BB+ through a boutique amp (Nolatone Superbug?). The BB & BB+ sounded like EL34s to me the way it was breaking up. Anyway, it was a nice preamp or distortion pedal, however you want to use it. I suppose it would be nice (& expensive at $200) if you want to get an EL34 sound with a Mesa, but for a 6L6 sound, why not just use the Mesa's distortion? I never figure this one out except that we all like to buy a new pedal. It's like a man purse, isn't it. And like my wife's shoes, I never get ride of one!

If I go back to depending on pedals for overdrive, I'll just play my 5E3 or one of my old Fenders, & not deal with all the weight & complexity of a channel switching amp. If you just want a boost, seems like there are cheaper pedals out there. With my PRS, the pickups are so hot I couldn't imagine using a boost. With the single coils, some boost might be nice, but it's noisy enough as it is.

That being said, the Express 5:50 I bought really does take pedals well, both on input & in the loop.

I just got a Virtual Sound Double Trouble yesterday. I'm gonna put it in front of my DC-5 and I'll give you a report. Two TS808 clones in one. Sparked MY interest

All I can say about this pedal (Visual Sound Double Trouble) is WOW. Runs in front of my DC-5 nicely. If you have a chance to test drive one, you won't be dissappointed. It can go from SRV to Robben Ford in one stomp.

If more classic hard rock sound is your thing, the Jekyl and Hyde dual pedal would be one to try. One side has the TS808 clone and the other is flat out OD with Treble and mid sweep knobs. A lot of players are saying that this pedal won't ever leave their board. Eric Johson is using this pedal.

Very transparent pedal. Has an assignable noise suppression switch inside that I flipped to the effect 1 side (input) and it seems to do the trick (of course, I have noiseless single coils anyway).

Blown away by my shredmaster in the clean of my LSS. Thought it would be too much, but it isnt. Tim pedal is great for grit and a kind off brightening boost, but man that shredmaster...single note sustain you say?
J

For sustain type OD pedals I think the BB preamp is not compressed enough. Great pedal (I own the BB+) but I feel it's fantastic for rhythm rather than for outright soloing in terms of smooth fluid sustain. I think a pedal that provides some form of compression is a good place to start. i'm basing my remarks on a Rectoverb that I own so it may not apply directly to your amp, so consider this.

Have a look at these pedals out of interest:

Wampler's Pinnacle and Plextortion. Both great pedals. I think he makes the best pedals to date. I own the Pinnacle and am waiting for the Plextortion.

Marshall's original issue Drive Master. I own this and it's a real ripper. I believe the current Jack Hammer is based on this pedal, so maybe give this a shot.

MI Audio's Blues Pro is a TS based pedal but I think it's a lot better; more gain and doesn't have the mid-hump. Not really that compressed. A very good pedal. Also look at the Tube Zone pedal. This has plenty of gain available and plenty of controls. Own both.

Homebrew's Power Screamer is a good pedal. Haven't plugged this in for a long time but from memory it has a lot of gain if you want. It has a number of options, too. Check it out.

I feels that a number of OD pedals lack a certain punch, due to having a single tone control, so I place an EQ pedal after them and it makes them come alive. Consider this as an option. EQ's pedals are a fantastic tool and I feel a 'must have' pedal. Very underated.

Plenty for you to research. Good luck.

A friend of mine is playing your exact setup using a voodoo labs sparkle drive. He is in a very busy classic and southern rock band. His tone is awesome.

Back