preamp tubes in your V-twin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

never-enough

Reaction score
just wondering what tubes everyone has experimented with in their v-twins, and what you all have found to work well for the different tones you are looking for.

I just swaped out the mesa tubes in my bottle rocket for some GT's. It sounds pretty good. Pre amp tubes are pretty cheap, you could buy a couple of different types and try em out.

Scott

I bought a used V-Twin with Ruby tubes...Wow, I don't know much about them but if you're looking for a very clear powerful sound these suckers are the ticket!

I've tried EH 12ax7s and JJ ecc803s. The JJs were nice because they reduced the fizziness of the V Twin's distortion. I never found a way to tighten the bottom end up enough to suit me though, so I ended up getting rid of it some time back.

The best results I had with the V-twin for more "texture" was with closely matched EH tubes (yes I know most people say that matching pre-amp tubes do nothing, but I did actualy hear a difference).... even that, however was not enough and ended up selling it in favor of an ENGL 530 which gets my dual rectifier tremoverb dead on (both the sounds i get with mesa EL34's, 6L6's and sovtek 6L6wxt+)....

Back