2ch Dual Rectifier - FX Loop levels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunedown

Reaction score
I read the manual for the 2ch Dual/Triple Rec and I still have a question I was hoping you guys could answer for me (or direct me to). I'm going to assume this is a normal question that's been answered before, so if it's easier to send me a link to a previous conversation, that's cool with me...

Ok. I have to put my Loop Select switch on "Ext SW" in order to use the footswitch that lets me select between the Orange and Red channels (correct?). Now, when I do that, the effects loop SEND LEVEL and MIX LEVEL knobs effect my overall volume. I'm assuming that this is because if you select anything other then BYPASS the loop is "in play" even if you're not running any effects through it (correct?). That's what it means that the FX Loop on this amp is a "Parallel Loop"?

So my question is: What effect do the SEND LEVEL and MIX LEVEL knobs have on my volume/gain/tone in this instance? Should I put em at half way? Should I crank em all the way up? I imagine that they're nothing more then levels between the preamp and the power amp right?

Also...

Why can't I use the footswitch to select channels unless I "activate" the effects loop? That's kind of annoying...

Thank you guys for your patience with a DR Noob...

Cheers.

You shouldn't need to have the FX loop on to simply change channels. There's a toggle switch on the left side (looking at the amp from the back) that should say something like "Orange - (footswitch)/Red"

If you want to use the footswitch to change channels, you should set that switch to the Orange channel, and plug into the jack on the front labelled "footswitch".

The FX loop should have nothing to do with the actual changing of channels.

I typically run my FX loop send and mix knobs at full open (100%). That's just the way I run them, so I get as close to a serial loop as possible. Then I'll adjust my effect unit to the same volume as the amp. But if you aren't using effects in the loop, you should probably just set the loop to off, unless you want to use the Master Volume knob to control the amp.

mikey383 said:
You shouldn't need to have the FX loop on to simply change channels. There's a toggle switch on the left side (looking at the amp from the back) that should say something like "Orange - (footswitch)/Red"

If you want to use the footswitch to change channels, you should set that switch to the Orange channel, and plug into the jack on the front labelled "footswitch".

The FX loop should have nothing to do with the actual changing of channels.

I typically run my FX loop send and mix knobs at full open (100%). That's just the way I run them, so I get as close to a serial loop as possible. Then I'll adjust my effect unit to the same volume as the amp. But if you aren't using effects in the loop, you should probably just set the loop to off, unless you want to use the Master Volume knob to control the amp.
This is very interesting.

I started by running the head with the CHANNEL SELECT on Orange and the LOOP SELECT on Bypass and the footswitch didn't work. Then I moved the LOOP SELECT to Ext SW an the footswitch worked, BUT then the send and mix knobs were "in play" meaning they effected my overall output. So I leave them cranked.

I wish the footswitch worked in bypass mode, but it doesn't. Is it supposed to? Did somebody mod this head to have a serial loop and I just don't know it?

That is interesting. I never had a problem like that. Are you using the front footswitch input, or the rear? I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it could.

Have you pulled the chassis out and made sure all the plug in connections are seated properly? I had a 3 channel that the plug came loose and it wouldn't switch.

I'll be around my amp on Friday, so I'll mess with mine and try to recreate your problem. The footswitch should work regardless of what the FX loop knob is set on. The EX SW setting is so you can toggle the FX loop on and off with the optional FX loop footswitch, so that shouldn't have anything to do with the channels.

What kind of footswitch are you using?

Im using the "original" silver "sardine can" single footswitch. The one that doesnt have its own cable and requires an extra quarter inch cable.

Also, im plugging it in to the front footswitch jack.
Should i be using the jack on the back of the chassis for external channel switching? I see it in the manual i have here but i dont remember seeing it on my amp. Ill check that tomorrow.

I've had the chassis out twice and i never checked those connections before so i'll have to do that the next time I get a chance.

Thank you :)

No problem man. That's what we're here for.

You shouldn't have any problems if you are using the original switch and the front input. It really shouldn't matter which input you use, but I always used the front with no problems. I have mine set up using the back input now, but I also have the effects loop set to the orange channel, and use a switch for the FX loop. Does the footswitch only work when you set it to EX SW, or will it work will the Orange or Red channel selected?

I don't recall whether the 2 channel Rectos have the same type of connections on the FX select pot as the 3 channels, but that would be the thing to check.

There has to be something amiss. What kind of cable are you using for the switch? I'm not sure if using an instrument cable would have any adverse effects or not. I always used a speaker cable.

I'm trying man...running out of options though.

Hey man, I checked my Dual Rec today, and my footswitch works no matter what position the FX loop switch is set to. I don't have a clue why yours doesn't work right, unless it has to do with that plug. :?:

Hi, so in theory can you have 1 pedal plug into the front or back to change channels on the amp. Plug an identical pedal into the back for fx loop, have it on Ext SW, and use it for fx on/off. I only have 1 pedal at the moment, and i want to get another to use them at the same time, 1 for channel, 1 for fx loop. is this ok to do?

Latest posts

Back