Triple Rec plus Pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPSEWORM

Reaction score
I have a triple Rectifier and wanted some advise on how to keep the triple rec tone and use a pedal for solos. I'm playing through a guitar with EMG 81's and the Mesa sounds massive without a pedal. But I would like to add some effects and gain when I need it. I have been using a GNX3 on the FX loop but it seems to be on constantly even withthe FX toggle off. Is there a pedal out there that I can use that wont effect the Mesa tone until its turned on? I've tried the Jeckle and Hyde pedal but it doesnt work.

Also, when I use the clean channel on the mesa there seems to be much gain using this guitar so the clean isnt really that clean. I'm guessing that its due to the EMG 81's

Correct me if I'm wrong. I just realized my error.

I was just running into the FX pedal into the FX send and not looping into the FX return. It should bypass the pedal completely if I trigger the FX swith on the mesa pedal?

Sorry, I'm not used to running effects so I feel a little ignorant here.

Now you have it right. Guitar-Mesa Input-FX Send-GNX IN-GNX OUT-FX Return. For best results, set the dry/wet ratio on the GNX to 100 % wet and control the amount of added FX with the patch volume. Set the send/return levels so that there is no distortion and you are done.

CORPSEWORM said:
Is there a pedal out there that I can use that wont effect the Mesa tone until its turned on? I've tried the Jeckle and Hyde pedal but it doesnt work.

Any pedal that's sold as "true bypass" won't affect your tone when it's off.

Also, when I use the clean channel on the mesa there seems to be much gain using this guitar so the clean isnt really that clean. I'm guessing that its due to the EMG 81's

I use EMGs too. They get great cleans, provided you turn the volume down on the guitar.

CORPSEWORM said:
I was just running into the FX pedal into the FX send and not looping into the FX return. It should bypass the pedal completely if I trigger the FX swith on the mesa pedal?

Yes.

Sorry, I'm not used to running effects so I feel a little ignorant here.

No problem.

Since you're looking to beef up a lead tone, I suggest experimenting with an overdrive and delay. Something like an Ibanez Tubescreamer (or a clone of it, like the Fulltone Fulldrive...which is true bypass) will give you that "sustain for days" type sound, and the delay will add some 3D ambience to your solos....otherwise they tend to sound very flat and two dimensional.

Back