Which Tubescreamer to get? What about Analogman?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jargapix

Reaction score
I want to pick up a TS and see how it sounds through my SR Solo 50. I've got a Fender American Strat and using the G-Major Reverb...NICE!!

I've been wanting a tubescreamer because I've only got 2 channels to switch with clean and Vintage. Mainly though the Modern voicing seems to be a tad too much gain for bluesy sounds, IMO. I love the Modern w/ my ESP and ZWLP.

I've seen a bunch of TS and Maxon pedals and I'd like to know if there's a big difference between them. What I gather is...

TS-9 is not as good as the TS-808 reissue. I should spend the xtra $70-80 and get the 808.

What about the Analogman.com mods? Is it worth it to buy a modded pedal from this company. Is the TS-9/808 Mod ($165) good enough or should I spend ($245) and get the 808 Mod?

Anybody got any clips?

JA

Analog Mike does a very nice job, I own his ts-9 but my favorite pedals are from Keeley I bought his 808 , blues driver, and the compressor and never looked back

Actually all Tubescreamers were and are made by Maxon.

I own a stock TS-9 and I'm contemplating where to get it modded at. I have heard nothing but great things about Analogman's work, so I think I will give them a shot.

To me, they also have failry decent deals on modded pedals and what not.

i don't have any of the keeley pedals, so i can't comment on them. i have sent a few pedals to analogman to mod, and the results have been fantastic on all of them. including a boss sd-1 that i considered unusable before his mod. i think you would be totally satisfied with whatever you decided to pick up from him.

I purchased a new TS9 from ebay that had the JRC chip and brown sound mod done to it. The work was neat and clean. I can't remember or find his ebay user name but I have info on his store. GuitarTech Los Angeles, CA (310)410-8324. I purchased this around noon EST on a Saturday and received it on Monday! I'm in Michigan. You can't ask for faster service.

In doing an A-B test with a friend's TS9 I feel it is a mod worth doing.

I purchase a ts9dx for 70 euros. Then I buy a jrc4558 and the two resistors to get the ts9 board into the ts808. The total amount is less than 80 euros. 245 dollars are so much for me, then I decided to do the mod myself, you can see the explanation on the r.g.keen page, www.geofx.com. That man is so amazing and I like so much his explains on fx. Think about this other chance.

I'm also contemplating a tube screamer, but I don't know if I want the TS-808 or the TS9. I really like SRV's tone on his cover of Little Wing, but I'm not sure if he was using a TS9 or a TS-808 on that recording.

I'll eventually go to GC and do a test on my own, but I'm curious to hear your feedback.

I have an original TS808 and I use it every gig. The tone is awesome! I wired a standard DC Jack to the circuit so I didn't have to use batteries anymore. They drain quickly when you forget to unplug the input while it is on a pedalboard!

I just love that sizzling guitar sound during the first ~20 seconds of Van Halen's "Summer Nights." Didn't he use a tubescreamer? Was it a TS9 or a TS-808?

I have a Keeley modded TS9 at the moment, it is a great pedal.
I previously had a Ibanez TS9 stock model. I am very happy with the Keeley but if I am honest when I played both side by side there was only a slight difference to my ears. What one was best ? well that is a subjective opinion. If I was having a good night they both sounded great if I stunk so did the pedals. Don't be put off Stock TS9's they are great pedals and if you are playing well they sound great.
Us guitar players can be gear snobs and like to think we have ears that notice the slightest changes. But usually we are trying to justify spending an extra 50 quid on the latest gear. Whatever one you get I'm sure you will enjoy.

mloiaco said:
I just love that sizzling guitar sound during the first ~20 seconds of Van Halen's "Summer Nights." Didn't he use a tubescreamer? Was it a TS9 or a TS-808?

Bump. Anyone know the answer to this question?

Being that Eddie used a modified (although will never admit to it having been modified) Marshall it may be difficult to achieve what you are hearing on your recording. In addition to this the method of recording and mixing may also play havoc with trying to assimilate the tone. Just try them both with your amp and your amp settings and see which fits you better. In addition to this, look for your own tone. Much of EVH's gain and tone came from that old Marshall at full tilt. It has been rumored that he had his amp modified by Jose Arrendondo, Mark Cameron, or others. Chances are it was modified or everyone would have had an amp that sounded like his in the 80's that wanted one. Take it from me, I own a JMP and have played through many and the list of guitars is probably tenfold that I have owned or played through. His tone is difficult to nail completely. Every amp will sound slightly different, especially old Marshalls. Every little part is not identical and they age slightly different also and the tone is changed by every little part. Many amps never sound the same after even getting routine maintenance. With that in mind, the pedals will not even sound the same either. He may have had a modified pedal too. Your best bet is just to try to get as close as you can but that won't happen unless you take the time to play the different pedals you are looking at through your amp with your guitar and your cabinet. Then once you have established a passing tone then work on your playing. Eddie would sound like him if he was playing through a cheap solidstate practice amp on an even cheaper guitar. That said, you will always sound like you although you may learn his songs and acquire some of his nuances. I hope this helps and is not too discouraging.

man not to be so close mind, we are trying to explain you that for example ts9 and ts808 are so very quite similar, there are only a few mods to do, replace the ic and two resistors, so if you are a branded buyer because you are not sure what are you buying and you think that purchasing a ts808 will not be a faulty buy, so go on, but I can ensure you that ts808 is about 60 euros more expensive than a ts9, so for that reason I buy the ts9dx and then I spend another euro into a 4558 and two resistors, so I save about 60 euros and it is exactly the same sound, so don´t buy a pedal because evh uses it. buy it because you like or hate its sound

Let's try this again...

If you know the answer to the following multiple choice question, please reply with (a) or (b).

Which Tubescreamer did EVH use on Summer Nights?
a) "TS9"
b) "808"

Latest posts

Back