Decent A/B box, that wont affect TONE Reccomendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerofivefour

Reaction score
I need a decent A/B box so I can switch between my RIG and a floor mounted Guitar Tuner. My concern is that the ab box doesnt have cheap wiring and or jacks that would alter my tone adversely. I dont want to spend a small fortune either. I'd rather get a rack mounted tuner if Im going to have to spend a bunch of cash to get a decent a/b box.

Any opinions of reccomendations?

Thanks, 054...

The one I have doesn't seem to effect my tone. Its kinda old, blue box with 3 jacks. I'll check the brand when I get home.

Ned

How much are you looking to spend...the Korg DTR-1000 is a great rack mounted tuner that will run you a little over $100 or so.

Erik:

I dont really want to spend more than 30 bucks on an a/b box(I'm hoping to get a used one on Ebay). I know that isn't very much money, but as I said I'd rather spend the money on rack tuner if the a/b box solution goes beyond 30 bucks. I have been considering picking up either a Sabine 7000 or a Korg DTR 1000 recently. However I just built a pedal board and thought this might be a better more cost effective solution.

Ned:
would the 'blue box' you have happen to be a DOD 270 a/b box? If so this would be a reasonalby priced box. There are currently a few on ebay atm that I might bid on.

My main concern remains Not affecting the signal path to my Dual Rectifier Rackmount =)

Thanks for your replies.

Thats exactly what it is. I bought it so long ago I've got no idea what the price was.

Ned

Well I found a very good quality a/b box at http://www.loop-master.com

here is a direct url to the a/b box page, I think there are 6 variations, some with and without LED's

http://www.loop-master.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=23

I actually found a better solution to my tuner problem. Ive decided to purachase a dual loop true bypass box from loop master which has a tuner out as well. This will allow me to place my wah in one loop and any other effects in the other loop, as well as have a dedicated line going direct to my tuner for tuning with out any tone degradation.

Here is a link to the item I purcased.

http://www.loop-master.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=60

IT's worth every penny !

I recieved the Loop box. This is an awesome addition to my pedal board.
The build quality is Solid. The functionality Flawless. Anyone interested in removing the TONE SUCKAGE from their current pedal board set up should seriously check these boxes out. The owner is such a cool guy to deal with too. Shipping was an absolute steal. Absolutely great purchase through and through.

I absolutely reccommend the unit.
I've orded the pedal board patch unit also,
My pedal board is getting there =)

www.loop-master.com

i can tell you that you DON'T want the morley aby box. pops when switching as its passive and theres crossover between the two amps. its cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Hey musicbox I use the morley and i don't experience any pops when i switch or tone coloring.discoloring at all, mybe my setup has something to do with it though?

gtr 1 ----morley A input/gtr 2 morley B input----out to ns-2 gate---to wah

----to amp.

ive heard similar stories about the morley being not so good. the
whirlwind is transformer isolated, worth 100 bucks!
rack tuners should have a thru-jack that would allow you to pass your
signal thru to your fx or the like. they also have a footswitchable
mute function that you could control with a midi relay (cfx4 from axess)

The Whirlwind is not transformer isolated. And Morley DOES suck bad!!
Audiotech has the CL2 whcih allows you to turn the "MUTE" on a rack tuner on and off. MIDI is a bit much for a solution. Costly for a simple task.

Forgot to give you their address. Sorry...
www.audiotechusa.com A lot of the pro guys use their ABY. Check out their site. It rocks!!

www.loooper.com David Boggs is the MAN!!!

I own a custom built A/B/Y with tuner mute. This is simply the BEST A/B/Y I have ever used in all my years of playing. I have owned the Morley and Whirlwind and Rapco and I'm telling you when you hear the loooper you will simply throw the rest of them in the trash.

I hooked it up to a Road King and a Laney VH100R two high gain amps and it is Quiet!!! No pops, clicks, stalls, noise, etc.

Plus David is a real class act to deal with. He will build what you want with lots of options available.

Highly recommended!!!

Check him out!!!

Audiotech USA is the BEST choice period. I don't like Looopers stuff as it tends to look like a mess on your pedal board. (I've seen one in a guys board) Tends to look like a MAC truck with all the lights going down the highway. Audiotech's is a lot better layout and neater. Eric's (owner of Audiotech) has the BEST customer service i've ever experienced. Second to none. The rockstars agree...just look at their users, ****!!! They must be doing something right!!

The Audiotech stuff is better than a BOSS because it lets you expand for future use. You're not just stuck with a tuner pedal. Their ABY's, ABC,s have many uses. www.audiotechusa.com

...but I think he was just looking for a tuner bypass...
It seems like a lot to put in an ab/aby/abc box just to get a clean bypass. I dont hear any noise through the tu-2 and haven't had any problems w/ it. In studio, I take out my whole effects loop anyways and reloop w/ the recording. That will eliminate most noises. Live, I can't see how the tu-2 will make enough noise to be of a concern.

Back