Swap DC5 for Triaxis/20/20 + Recto 2x12 setup? Good idea?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrxmania

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the chance to get a Triaxis, 20:20 poweramp and a Recto 2x12 cabinet set-up to replace my DC-5 combo.

What is this set-up like - I had considered selling the DC-5 and buying a Mark IV. How does the triaxis set-up compare?

Any opinions would be gratefully recievd.

Thanks,

Brian :)

I'll bite. Though I've no direct experience with the DC-5 (can't compare, as you asked), I definitely have a long-term (~13 years) relationship with the Triaxis, and I currently power it with a 20/20 - down-sized from 2:90 about five years ago.

First, don't worry about volume: the 20/20 has plenty of oomph in its sleek little soul - enough for clubs unmiked. You'll notice some differences between the DC's 6L6GC power and the 20/20's EL84 power: more upper-mids and less low-frequency impact as you move to the 20/20. This can be an advantage, depending on your style and context (leaves more room for the bass player, for instance). Another advantage of the 20/20 is the capacity to now play with stereo effects; I couldn't live without stereo, and I highly recommend getting two cabinets, if you're making this change, and checking it out. [By the way, are you talking about the vertical 2x12 Recto cab? I've always wanted to try those, but I'm very happy with my dual wide-body 1x12's, especially after the upgrade to WeberVST Blue Dog and Silver Bell alnico speakers].

You can get an amazing variety of tones out of the Triaxis-20/20 setup. And if you care to sprinkle some sonic MSG on your signal, try optimizing your rig with NOS tubes like I have:
( http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749 ).

Finally, as an inveterate tweaker (I channel my OCD perfectionism this way), I have to comment on the ergonomics of the Triaxis, and rack setups in general. Basically, they suck. :( You're looking at little screens, poking all these buttons, remembering how to carry out non-intuitive protocols. Not the spirit of rock and roll at all, and definitely a different feel than rotating knobs. But you already have a M/B amp, and therefore must be comfortable with perpetual tweakage. The positive side of this, with the Triaxis, is that you can dial it in, save as a preset, and come back to it later without having to redial. Ultimately a time-saver. I hope you have a midi controller so you can take full advantage of this capacity (wait til you try morphing with the continuous controller!).

Hope this helps. What else do you want to know about the Triaxis-20/20?

Cheers!

Thanks very much for your reply.

The Cabinet is a 2x12, half stack sized cabinet.

What range of sounds will I get from a triaxis?I have a Digitech 2120 Artist DSP which I use in my effects send/return with my DC-5. I use it for modulation type effects mainly. I would hope to use the MIDI controller CONTROL ONE from that with the triaxis (it has a vlume/swell pedal) and set-up the MIDI to enable me to link my effects (a few only plus some light reverb etc) and the Triaxis together.

Once up and running - does the sound from the triaxis/20:20 set-up compare to a Mark IV or equivalent for flexibility and tonal quality?

I like having an amp but would gladly go for carrying more gear if it will improve my sound, but still have some soul. I carry loads of stuff anyway and the set-up is fed to the P.A. for the band. I am sure the 20/20 will be loud enough for me.

I play a very wide range of styles and need crystal clean to high(ish) gain.

Thanks for your reply and any more advice would be really appreciated.

Brian :)

What range of sounds will I get from a triaxis?

I play a very wide range of styles and need crystal clean to high(ish) gain.

Once up and running - does the sound from the triaxis/20:20 set-up compare to a Mark IV or equivalent for flexibility and tonal quality?

I expect that the Triaxis will give you the flexibility you want. What do you imagine? It's there, but you have to dial it in. I don't have the comparison with the Mark IV, which I know many players rave about, but my strong suspicion is that the Triaxis has more range of sounds. And judicious re-tubing brings out the best in the eight modes, lending each its own unique character.

Generally speaking, preamp/rack systems don't have the feel that well-made combos do, but this can be remedied by being careful with levels and with how the rack is wired. I didn't think the feel of my rig was as combo-ey until I re-tubed, but other (time-consuming) adjustments were necessary as well.

For effects, I don't generally recommend use of the Triaxis effects loop, unless you're using an effects unit that is often bypassed. In other words, only use it if you're taking advantage of the programmable switching feature. The reason is twofold: 1) the effects return level can overdrive the opamp, causing unwanted buzzy distortion, if not carefully set, and 2) the effects go after the preamp, in series, either way (it's not like a combo where the fx loop is between preamp and power amp).

Good luck, Brian!

Cheers Timbre Wolf,

I traded my DC5 for a new Imbua cabinet Mark IV. It is ace but heavy and expensive :( Loving it though. Took it out for its second gig tonight and out again gigging tomorrow with it too.

Here are some pictures:

Picture001.jpg

MarkIV2.jpg

MarkIV4.jpg

MarkIV5.jpg

MarkIV6.jpg

MarkIV3.jpg

MarkIV8.jpg

Brian :)[/url]

Latest posts

Back