NAD: Studio preamp :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eevil

Reaction score
Hello.

Yesterday acquired (again) the fabled Mesa Studio preamp in pretty good condition :) this is the second one as I had to sell the first one years ago.

There’s been major gear overhaul in last years and with current amps (diezel d-moll and Electra dyne) I was not able to get THE Mark sound (so surprised :lol: ), I did not also have money for a new head.

As a wrap up decided to buy the SP as I had fond memories about the tones (also best ever live recorded tone from my gigs was using the SP)

This thing is such a preamp :) I had forgotten how truly great is the lead channel. Last time I despised the reverb but it’s actually really good in clean channel (not so usable in lead but works there if used sparingly.)

The issue would be shared controls but that’ll be non-issue for my use as I’ll use my amps’ clean channels for clean tones :)

If encountered on “in the wild” please buy it as these are serious tone machines :)

I have a Quad pre and agree they are fantastic pieces and the best cost effective way of getting the Mark tone... I hope some day to play/own a Studio aswell.

I have some issues with switching. The transition from lead to clean bumps up the level for half a second and the sound distorts while transitioning.

I have a hunch that the LDRs may be in need of replacement

Highly likely... my Quad was in nice condition when i got it but still needed some work before i was happy with it... send it over to Mesa for a check up and if it were me a C++ mod... i wouldve had it done to my Quad but im in Australia and the Mesa auth repairer over here is really great so i couldnt justify the extra cost... no i couldnt get an exact ++ mod over here but it certainly came back with a more aggressive voicing and more gain on tap.

How do you like the lead ch in comparison with other mark amps youve had/played?

Out of the stuff i own i go triaxis, mkiii blue, quad... in that order... thats just comparing metal tones on lead channels... thats not to say the Quad is bad... all 3 are rather different... yet the same if that makes sense... the Quad has a certain more forgiving feel and squish that that others dont have and given its similarity to the studio i would imagine the studio has it too... ive never played a real C+ but i imagine this feel is some of what people describe in the C+... my mkiii blue and triaxis are stiffer sharper and more abrupt sounding units... which suits me better for chunky rhythm stuff... Quad is better for smoother singing leads... however since having my Quad modded its now more brutal and has a very similar sound to the mkiii but is still somewhat rounder sounding and feeling.

Marshall_SLX said:
How do you like the lead ch in comparison with other mark amps youve had/played?

I only had the Mark III and SP at the same time so comparing mostly memories :lol:

When I had those (10yrs ago ) I A/B tested multiple times between Mark pre and Studio pre to Mark III power amp and differences were really subtle. I cannot remember exact details but I remember having the feel that these are not so far away from each other.

...also I had the thiele with EVM back then and now I have the recto cabs with V30. Completely different tone and feel. :roll:

I have a small itch for a Mark V still... but let’s see :lol:

Latest posts

Back