Quad lacks gain in L1 and L2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjen77

Reaction score
So....Got an Old quad that has not been Played in 15 years. I noticed that the lead ch. 1 and 2 does not have the amount of gain the manual says. I was thinking maybe the LDRs are the main culprit? Can anyone Help out?

The tubes are Pretty old. But is it possible that they could cause that Much loss in gain?

The volume on each channel has input on how much lead gain you get. 6-8 volume 6-8 lead drive should bring higain.

Maybe there is dirt in the potmeteres that can hinder the volume to have no effect. The channel 1 volume on mine goes to 6 and then no more making lead drive weak.

Also I would like to ad that most Quads needs to be cleaned inside out and that seems to cure the faults.

Like you mine was bought around 2003-4 and hardly used since. The tubes were gainy enough but dirt makes channel 1 limited for me. The channel 2 is still good and so is both switching + both eq options.

You can hear the wooshing noise when tuning the knobs.

Also download the Quad manual and read it a few times to get the ideas of how to dial it in.

I own a couple of those. Great units. I sent them to the factory soon after I bought them, about 10 years ago. They did replace a few internal parts, LDRs as I recall- I'd have to look at the work order page to be sure exactly what they did. I recommend sending yours to the factory, as well, to address the issue. They'll check it out and replace whatever is needed.

Back