Just how is the OT of the 50/50 wired?

Triaxis, Quad Preamp, Stereo Power series, Recto Preamp

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

joey_truelove
Mark II

Just how is the OT of the 50/50 wired?

Post by joey_truelove » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 am

I'm about to re-cap my 50/50, a bias pot fitted and possibly even looking into having the OTs replaced.

However I just don't get the wiring of the OT secondaries. The 8 ohm outs appear to have twin leads, orange and yellow. If I got it right the OTs were designed for 8 ohms, be it 2 x 4 ohms or single 8 ohm loads, so I'm under the impression it's wired in a particular way, externally and internally to reflect back 8 ohms or a split load of 4 ohm.

You wouldn't have some insight to share on this, please?

domct203

Re: Just how is the OT of the 50/50 wired?

Post by domct203 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 am

joey_truelove wrote:I'm about to re-cap my 50/50, a bias pot fitted and possibly even looking into having the OTs replaced.

However I just don't get the wiring of the OT secondaries. The 8 ohm outs appear to have twin leads, orange and yellow. If I got it right the OTs were designed for 8 ohms, be it 2 x 4 ohms or single 8 ohm loads, so I'm under the impression it's wired in a particular way, externally and internally to reflect back 8 ohms or a split load of 4 ohm.

You wouldn't have some insight to share on this, please?
I don’t know what you mean by “designed for 8 ohms”. The secondaries values are based on that output tap’s ratio to the primary. Your assessment of the wiring sounds wrong. An 8 ohm tap is an 8 ohm tap, a 4 ohm tap is a 4 ohm tap.

What does your schematic tell you?

Dom
'07 Roadster Voodoo modded
'08 Stiletto Deuce II
'10 Mark V - sold
'18 TC-100
'01 Recto 4X12 Slant
'04 Recto 4X12 Slant/Straight
'74 Les Paul Custom
'95 American Strat
'12 Les Paul Signature T
TC G-System