Groove Tubes 12AX7-M Mullard reissue review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psycle_1

Reaction score
Just bought a set of Groove Tubes 12AX7-M Mullard reissues. Here are my thoughts:

Some people might have seen this review already on Petrucciforum.com or Hugeracksinc.com, but I'll post it here anyways.

These tubes kick a$$!!! I was using the stock Mesa 12AX7R-2's in my Triaxis (non fat mod) and noticed that all the LD2 channels sounded very muddy. The LD1 and LD2 channels also sounded very compressed, which is inherent to the Triaxis. To make a long story short, the 12AX7-M's tightened everything up and gave the Triaxis more dynamics. These are almost as good as the real NOS Mullards (I have a pair I keep around for comparisons). Clarity is unreal. If someone can host a couple MP3's, I'll post some before and after sounds. They don't sound the greatest since I'm using the recording outs of the Triaxis, but you'll get the point. If you're looking for a killer 12AX7, the Groove Tubes Mullard reissue is the ticket!

Note: I do NOT work for Groove Tubes. The tubes just sound that **** good!

pysche-

If you do a full page write up on the tubes and send me the mp3's and the writeup I'll host them on the GrailTone.com site.

Ned

Yeah Mullards rock, I have some and need to stock up because at my work (Guitar Center) we only have 8 of them left and arent getting anymore.

I just replaced the stock tubes in my V-twin with the Mullard reissues. Previously I had found the red channel to be too loose in the lower end but with the switch, the red channel is tighter and more articulate. I'm going to try them in my 20/20 next.

psycle_1 said:
Just bought a set of Groove Tubes 12AX7-M Mullard reissues. Here are my thoughts:

Some people might have seen this review already on Petrucciforum.com or Hugeracksinc.com, but I'll post it here anyways.

These tubes kick a$$!!! I was using the stock Mesa 12AX7R-2's in my Triaxis (non fat mod) and noticed that all the LD2 channels sounded very muddy. The LD1 and LD2 channels also sounded very compressed, which is inherent to the Triaxis. To make a long story short, the 12AX7-M's tightened everything up and gave the Triaxis more dynamics. These are almost as good as the real NOS Mullards (I have a pair I keep around for comparisons). Clarity is unreal. If someone can host a couple MP3's, I'll post some before and after sounds. They don't sound the greatest since I'm using the recording outs of the Triaxis, but you'll get the point. If you're looking for a killer 12AX7, the Groove Tubes Mullard reissue is the ticket!

Note: I do NOT work for Groove Tubes. The tubes just sound that **** good!

Thanks indeed. I've been contemplating upgrading the tubes in my Formula Pre. Guess it's a **** good thing to do.

Have also toyed with the idea of some NOS 12AT7s or 5751s in the V1 and/or V2 socket. Little less gain, some Fender chime in turn.

ned said:
pysche-

If you do a full page write up on the tubes and send me the mp3's and the writeup I'll host them on the GrailTone.com site.

Ned

Thumbs up on the GT 12AX7Ms in my Boogie Formula, Mark IIC+ and Mark IV.

Less mud, more thud.

Same here. I replaced my TriAxis tubes with the GT Mullards. They improved my tone big time! I will never go back the the boogie tubes. I have had too many problems with the brand new one I have bought from them.

I liked them so much I put them in my 2:90 power amp as well. I kept on going and bought 8 GT Power Tubes (6L6 S). Yes, I spent some bucks but my tone is kicking now. My sound is much more agressive but with great clarity. My friends say may improved sound is like night and day difference than when I had the stock Boogie Tubes in my rig.

:D :D :D

Back