Strudio Preamp Lead Sound "fuzzy" ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmx1

Reaction score
I just got a Studio Preamp, with a set of almost new Mesa tubes (used 1 month).

I was really surprised that the lead channel is really "fizzy". The high end is reminiscent of fuzz box (still with some tube elegance...).
I tried very possible knobs settings, tube swapping, Effects Send output...

Only very low Lead drive settings can reduce the effect (Lead drive 1-2, input volume at 4-5)

Beside that, the preamp seems to perform as expected.
Just to be sure, I made a quick comparison with my Quad Preamp and my Triaxis, using the same amp/cab setting, and indeed, the "fuzz effect" was not there.

Is this the normal sound of the Studio Preamp Lead channel ? Or should I plug my soldering iron ? :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance !

its not normal.

I have a Studio Pre and a Triaxis. When A/B testing though the same cab and guitar the sound produced is very similar (reference is using LD2 yellow on the Tri)

let us know what you find!

My Studio Pre is particular about settings and tubes.

If it's fuzzy, here are some suggestions that may help you out:
1) put a 5751s in V1, V2, and V3 to tame the gain
2) dial down the lead drive and volume
3) turn the EQ off
4) try some different pickups

Rock on,
Scott

Not sure if this is the case with you, but if you're running the "Volume" (akin to Volume 1) high, that could cause issues. The taper on that knob on the Studio is nuts. Running it around 4-5 is close to 9-10 on the Mark amps on some I've had. If you're running it at 8+, I could see it turning the tone to mush.

pmx1 said:
I just got a Studio Preamp, with a set of almost new Mesa tubes (used 1 month).

I was really surprised that the lead channel is really "fizzy". The high end is reminiscent of fuzz box (still with some tube elegance...).
I tried very possible knobs settings, tube swapping, Effects Send output...

Only very low Lead drive settings can reduce the effect (Lead drive 1-2, input volume at 4-5)

Beside that, the preamp seems to perform as expected.
Just to be sure, I made a quick comparison with my Quad Preamp and my Triaxis, using the same amp/cab setting, and indeed, the "fuzz effect" was not there.

Is this the normal sound of the Studio Preamp Lead channel ? Or should I plug my soldering iron ? :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance !

Definitely not normal. When Ld Drive is set high (around 8ish) is the only time mine gets fizzy, but nothing I'd call abnormal.

If you're capable of working with high voltages, I'd do some signal tracing to find at what stage it starts to get gnarly. There's a SP schematic floating around the interwebs that is accurate.

Back