Rack Mount V-twin problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subhumantd

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with my V-twin Preamp. It works fine for a while, say an hour or less, then all the output fades out. The power stays on, it just doesn't put out any sound. If I let it sit powered off for a while, it might come back, but sometimes doesn't for quite a while(the next practice, days later). I let an electrical engineer friend look at it, and he said the resistors on the right side of the board(from the front) were getting very hot, in the upper 200 degree range, but he hadn't found anything yet that he thought would cause the problem.

I was wondering if anybody had heard of anything like this, or knew what might cause it to happen?

Here's what worked for me...

I recommend changing those resistors to 5 Watt and adding a fan and side vents...

VTR3.JPG

VTR6.JPG

VTR14.JPG

VTR15.JPG

More info here...

http://www.stagecue.com/vtwin.html

I hope this helps

Seeya

Joe

I definitely don't like how hot those resistors get, so this might be something to try.

I talked to a mesa tech near me, and he said there were any number of things that could cause my issue. He said one easy thing to try when it fades out was to jump the effects loop send and receive with an instrument cable, because it can get tarnished and think it's in use when it's not, thus cutting out the sound. I played on it for the first time in a while yesterday(long standing issue, been using my Marshall), and I didn't have any problem. So I haven't been able to try that yet.

I'm thinking if it does it again(fingers crossed it doesn't and it just magically fixes itself :lol: ), I'm going to take it to the tech I talked to and see what he can find. Also if he's willing to change out those resistors and add a fan, because that's beyond my skill level.

Latest posts

Back