The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 am 
Bottle Rocket

So I got my Mesa Quad last week and a Midi Octopus a few days to follow. From what I can tweak, it sounds really great. There are some issues though. Insane crackling, volume drops, and hissing.

So there’s no confusion.
Channel 1 = Mark IIC L1 R1
Channel 2 = Mark III L2 R2

I haven’t messed with the Rhythm channels on the units, so I’m only going by the Lead modes. So on Channel 1, I noticed when tweaking the Lead Drive, there was a lot of crackling. As I started playing, the volume dropped, and now when you turn the gain on 10 it’s like it’s on 2. When you turn the drive down to 3, its at full blast.

I noticed on a lot of the knobs (Lead drive, Volume, Master, Lead Master) that it has a major jump from 0-1 or 2, then from there it goes up to 3 or 4 then every adjustment past that has no effect. The same with channel 2, but it’s not as drastic.

I bought some contact cleaner to maybe clean the pots up a bit and it helped the crackling and it made the Lead Drive on Channel 1 not have a volume drop at 4. It peaks around 2, then is slightly less driven from 3-10. And the settings on 3 through 10 are all the same. If you turn it to 1, major cut, then 0 is obviously nothing.

The real kicker is that on Channel 2. NONE of the Pull push knobs work. Pulling the knob has no effect on the sound, and that’s wrong.

I obviously need this to be serviced. I’ve checked the tubes and everything “seems” to be okay. I could be very well mistaken. Could I just be missing a bad tube? Dirty pots? Bad pots? Maybe a Capictior?

Edit: I have a picture of the inside of the Preamp. I can post a link to iMGr since on a mobile device and it can’t upload pictures. I can take more or focus on certain parts when I get home.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm 
Mark II

I had very similar problems with my quad after a few years of little usage. I brought it to a Mesa authorized service place. My issues were a volume drop on R1 after playing for 15+ minutes and L2 would cut out and randomly drop volume.

The tech had it for about a week and when I went to pick it up, he said it needed a really good cleaning. This was about 3 years ago and it's worked perfect since.

I do notice that L2 lead master seems to go full volume (or at least the volume where it starts to hurt my ears) at around 2.5. 2.0 is too low, and 3.0 gets me yelled at. Lol. I've been compensating by using the output.

As for your push/pull issue, I never had that problem with the quad but I did have the same issue with my first Mark IV. Brought that in and the tech pulled the chassis, removed the knobs and pots, tested and cleaned. Haven't had an issue since.

Give a call to Mesa. They're real good about trouble shooting over the phone/email.

93 97 98 PRS CE24
94 98 G&L Legacy
94 G&L ASAT Special
95 G&L S-500
99 Peavy Wolfgang
11 Gibson LP Studio 60

69 Bandmaster Head
88 Quad Pre
91 & 92 Simul 295
92 DC-5
96 Mark IV Maple/Wicker
98 5150 combo