Problem w/ 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henz

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings, I hope all are well. Recently 2:90 on stand by, half drive led stays on then starts to flicker after a few moments.Stops flickerin when Deep is activated. Powering up , when only 1/2 dr is on and flickering, sounds like thunder from speaker. Deep on, rumblin stops. After on for a while, fln stops. Tone seems ok tho. is this a voltage issue? I have noticed the power on lite flickern a little as well. There is much more that needs addressed but hopefully we will get to it. It is 25+ yrs old. This is a starting point. I hope to hear from you. (sigh) Thanx for ur time! Jim

Hi Henz,

I have a 2:90 also, when I first turn it on, after being on standby, it has a few crackles for the first 30 seconds then quitens down.
The lights don’t flicker or anything. When I have modern and deep on with half Drive, my half Drive light is very dull but other than that not what you have. Maybe it’s something to do with your tubes, pre and power.
I have played with mine a bit, changing various tubes etc. the next step for me is a full re-cap. At the moment it doesn’t worry me that much.

Thanx for the reply..I have switched so many tubes around, both inside and out, but problem still exists. One big prob w/ this amp is the Power Transformfer conn on board. I did what many ppl did is to hard wire the green wires to board. Based on schematics, i think, that it supports voltage to the switching matrix. I wiggled a green wire while in stand by and the half drive flickering stopped. or so it seemed. still flickering on S/B. When on bench, powered up, the crackles and pops happen when there are little tiny sparks on my power board. After on and playing for a while , amp functions normally. No flickering .Tone seems fine. I'm at the point now where i have come to expect it and it gets me thru another day. Blessings, James.

In the power supply plug I changed all the pins/plugs on the ends of the wires to proper molex, 4 sided ones. The original pins/plugs are 2 sided with a spring type thing on 1 side. At least the molex pin/plugs touch all sides of the pins on the board. I have seen a few burnt on this site and others. I had changed mine from US 110v to Australian 240v with a TAD power transformer so I did it then.

hey its me again. I used 3 power tube socket pins, soldered green wires then slid them on. do u think that was ok? i wud like to do what u did. any place that i can go to veiw? Blessings, Jim

Hi Henz,

Sorry for not getting back to you, haven’t been on here for a while.

Here is a site with the pin types I used.

https://www.ukjetshop.com/store/p7/Female_Pins_for_Molex_%28Ashlock%29_Connectors.html

Not sure if the power tube pins have enough contact either, they will only touch the 4 corners. I like these because all 4sides make contact.

Back