The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm 
Mark III

I recently picked up a Mesa Quad (for the fourth time!) to add to my rack. I plan on using midi to switch channels with the 1/4" jacks. However I am trying to wrap my head around the switching logic since there is a jack for a four channels. I under stand the basic switching but usually one jack toggles between two channels. Closed is one channel and open is the other channel. How does it work with a jack for each channel? I know there is the easter egg where you can have Lead 1 and Rhythm 2 on at the same time and the converse. but am I to assume that to switch between Lead 1 and Rhythm 1 I need to turn one on and the other off? what if they are both on or both off, is there a default? I am asking be cause I need to order a cable from RJM to control the quad but not sure if I need to get one 4, 6 or 8 1/4" plugs. Is anyone switching channels in this manner?

Thanks,
Scott

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 pm 
Mark II

I'd like to know this, too. If my FU-2 ever craps out, having another way to switch channels would be great.

93 97 98 PRS CE24
94 98 G&L Legacy
94 G&L ASAT Special
95 G&L S-500
99 Peavy Wolfgang
11 Gibson LP Studio 60

69 Bandmaster Head
88 Quad Pre
91 & 92 Simul 295
92 DC-5
96 Mark IV Maple/Wicker
98 5150 combo
08 Mark IV Wide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 am 
Mark III

Each switch jack turns the channel on or off.

4X12 Half back 280w MC90's/Eminence vintage 50's
4X12 Half back 460w MC90's/EV's

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 am 
Mark III

I understand that. But I'm sure it won't let you turn all four at the same time. Which overrides which, etc......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am 
Mark II

None are engaged by default, each jack engages one. And I believe if you engage two, one per channel, it'll engage both. Anything beyond that you'll really just need to plug something in and experiment. It may in fact let you engage all four and open up all four audio pathways which probably wouldn't generate an ideal sound.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I just asked this ? at a local music store. You would build the patch to send multi signals at once, on to turn on a channel one to turn off. It actually should not be that hard, as well as being able to send a signal at the same time to switch on eq, or reverb on off , or boost, as well as turn on and off some effects loops patched in to the signal via the ground control unit If you should need this option it will probably set you back around 300$ to do it right.

Also I once just used 4 latching switches for a practice and I had accidentally run rhythm and lead 1 at the same time, for a very short period, The real easter egg is for me was running lead 2 and rhythm 1.

Lok