Triaxis signal chain

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrystalFinger

Reaction score
Hello,I need help or suggestions on the proper signal chain for my Triaxis rig.....I have the current signal chain as follows: guitar,Triaxis,Decimator ProRack G,power amp and thru the Triaxis FX loop is the G-Major effects rack then the Berringer Ultra-Q Pro parametric rack EQ.

I was told the signal chain should be as follows: guitar,Decimator ProRack G,Berringer Ultra-Q Pro parametric rack EQ,power amp and thru the Triaxis FX loop should be the G-Major effects rack only.

Any help is appreciated and sorry if this has been brought up before,I couldnt find it.... \m/

Sometimes, Boogie Board searching is like trying to find a small needle in a field of corn... :roll:

One piece of advice you'll certainly find all over this board is that the signal path order is what sounds good to you rather than what is "proper". For me, what has worked is:

guitar -> wah -> Triaxis -> FX S -> TC1128 EQ -> TC Gmaj2 -> FX R -> 2:90 -> Cab

All mono, no parallel mixers or anything like that.

I've experimented with the EQ and Gmaj2 outside of the loop. One of the nice things about that is it removes the potential of overload of the opamp on that circuit (I assume that with your EQ, you don't really use the Dynamic Voice either...), nonetheless I just prefered them in the loop. I've no doubt that this setup will change with the seasons...

I'm just getting into this too, and would like more explanation on this if possible. I just bought a used V1 Triaxis. I have a TC GMaj2.
Whats the functional difference of using the FX loop on the triaxis rather than just going out to the TC?
The TC has it's own dry/wet mix control and it's own output volume control. What do I really gain by running through the Triaxis FX loop?

Jonelli said:
I'm just getting into this too, and would like more explanation on this if possible. I just bought a used V1 Triaxis. I have a TC GMaj2.
Whats the functional difference of using the FX loop on the triaxis rather than just going out to the TC?
The TC has it's own dry/wet mix control and it's own output volume control. What do I really gain by running through the Triaxis FX loop?
Well, I'll weight in here, but bear in mind that I've only owned my Tri for a year-and-a-half...

Obviously, the FX loop can be switched in or out on a per program basis. There might be an occasion when you simply want to bypass that signal chain completely and that can only be achieved by putting the TC GMaj2 into the loop and deactivating the loop on the amp. I appreciate that you could just select bypass or deactivate all the effects on the unit, but the signal would still be traversing the TC - and, if memory serves me correctly, the signal will go through A/D convertors regardless (please correct me if I am wrong on that one...).

The FX loop comes before the main output pot controls. This means that signal into the loop is governed by the Master control more than anything. If the TC Gmaj2 is placed between the Triaxis and your power amp of choice, the main output pot has a bearing on the input gain level hitting the TC. Not really a problem, but it might result in compromising the "heat" of the Triaxis' output signal in order to accomodate the effects unit. If the TC was in the loop, the signal has already gone through that process before hitting the main output pot levels, arguably giving you more headroom from the preamp.

Lastly (from me, at least...) is that the FX send comes straight after the TL072 Opamp used by the Dynamic Voice. Upon FX return, the signal will go through the V5 tube. From tubefreak.com:
V3A -> PRESENCE -> VOLUME -> TL072A -> DYNAMIC VOICE -> TL072B -> (FX SEND) -> (FX RETURN) -> V5A + V5B -> MASTER VOLUME -> OUTPUT
If you use the DV setting, you'll probably already know that you can't really set it above 6 or 7 without it starting to sound pretty terrible. Apart from the overload of the Opamp, I guess it is possible to cause the signal into the V5 tube to be far too hot if the already clipped output of the Opamp is being increased further in the TC. TBH, this is why I put a lower output valve into V3, set DV to 0 on pretty much all programs and purchased an external EQ for that capability.

HTH...

I've just bought my TriAxis and so far i'm really pleased with it. here is my current signal chain

Here is the rack, and the signal chain:

17833951_10155296253644783_5991212557108956033_o.jpg

Wireless Rear Panel output -> korg tuner rear panel input
Korg Tuner Rear panel output -> GCX rear panel Feed thru
GCX rear panel loop 8 out -> Area 51 Wah input
Area 51 Wah output -> Triaxis rear panel input
Triaxis rear panel L & R outputs -> Randal power amp L & R Inputs

Please excuse the colour of the TriAxis facia... It's started to de-laminate away from the backing, so isn't black anymore. All works fine, but I need to buy a replacement facia from Mesa/Boogie which I've already had a quote of £145 on... So not the end of the world. Not bad as the TriAxis only cost me around £400.

The G-Force is wired into the Triaxis effect loop so not in the direct signal path. And there starts my issue.

Maybe I'm not understanding the FX loop properly, and it's just not set up very well. I understand that the master volume on the TriAxis is also used to adjust the FX loop level, but in all honesty i don't understand how this works. I adjust it, and it just alters the volume, or appears to only alter the volume and the FX loop together. Some of the G-Force patches seem to be really good through the TriAxis others seem to be so quiet you can hardly hear them (Stereo dynamic delay for example). I've checked the effect levels in the G-Force and for example the delay is 100% in both channels, but isn't very high in the Triaxis so i'm assuming it might be something to do with the Triaxis effect loop level. Are there any marked differences in using the loop as opposed to in series after the pre-amp. i'm seriously considering rewiring it in series to see what the difference is.

I've noticed that Petrucci is using an AxeFX and he has that wired in series after the TriAxis and not in the loop. A few people have questioned why i'm using the loop..... I'm beginning to question why myself also.

My old Pre-Amp was a JMP1 Marshall and that had a separate FX loop level control on it so that you could dial in the FX loop level separate from the master volume....... This doesn't seem to be the case with the TriAxis.... Or have i got it wrong?

Sorry for the really late reply, but just wanted thank you guys for the very thorough opinions on the FX loop usage. I appreciate it!

If you use the fx loop, the master volume(LED Master) is what controls the volume to the fx loop, the Output is the overall volume out.

With the GMajor 2, I have it with Kill Dry off so that the original signal goes through as well.
I have the presets in Parallel and find they work best. In series the effects go all quiet.
If you use only one effect at a time the series is fine, but when using say, chorus and reverb together, they both get a bit less pronounced. I use delay with them both sometimes as well.

I have a few bits of the gear you guys are using and setup as follows:

G90-> Decimator ch1-> GCX rear thru-> GCX front-> GCX guitar in-> GCX guitar out-> GCX loop1 in-> pedal shelf distortions-> GCX loop4 out-> Mesa HGAS snd-> Triaxis & Recto Recording-> Decimator ch2 & ch3-> HGAS rtn-> GCX loop5 in-> pedal shelf EQ's-> loop 8 out-> GMajor2 L in-> 2:90 or 2:100.

Back