Boogie Rack Rig tips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woksin

Reaction score
I have this great gitar rig, but when i plug it in I cannot help but feel rhat it does not reach it's full potential. The chain is:
Super Strat (emgs) -> ts-9 -> mesa boogie studio preamp (main out) -> dbx compressor -> tc1210 split out -> rocktron replifex -> mesa boogie 295 feeding a 1x12 thiele with evm12l and a regular 1x12 with a black shadow
Settings on studio is aprox:
Vol : 5-6 master 5 treb 5-6 bass 2-3 mid 4-6 lead drive 6-7 lead master 2-3 and geq on on both channels with typical V form.
I still feel like i lack the kind of fullness and sweet round, liquid lead sound like I hear other guys with similar rigs have.
As a pointer I draw lots of tonal insperation from guys like Steve Lukather, Mike Miller, Dan Huff etc.
I heard lots of guys talking about using the fx send or recording out as output, anyone tried that? I'm happy for any kind of tips on how I can improve upon the sound and/or signal chain.

Hey Woksin,

Beside putting the compressor first in the chain, to get the best out of any Rack system, I recommend running your Replifex and TC1210 in parallel with your pure Boogie analog tone... Otherwise, when you run your FX in series, you are 'chopping-up' your analog tone with the Replifex 24 Bit Analog to digital and digital to analog converters...

Also I recommend that you integrate a Voodoo Lab GCX to

1. bypass the compressor, (you'll only want to use the compressor for cleans IMHO)
2. bypass the TS9
3. mute the Replifex input to allow delay trails when you switch amp channels
4. mute the TC 1210 as opposed to bypassing it
5. change studio preamp channels and swicth the EQ in/out...

Here's an example...

studio_pre_rig.jpg

I hope this helps... please let me know if you have any questions...

seeya

Joe

I see, that would be pretty neat! But unfortunatly I'm not in a position where I can afford that right now. So maybe for now switching up the compressor to take the signal from the guitar first, and perhaps removing the replifex from the chain would help (though I did not really understand why I should have the replifex and tc1210 in parallell).

Thanks!

Sell the compressor, rocktron, TS9 and splitter (plus any MIDI controllers) and get a Digitech GSP1101 (w/c63 firmware) with Control2 ($550 used for both is reasonable). Put the Preamp in the GSP loop, and you have everything you need for any possible tone, and 99 user presets to switch live between any tone you can imagine.

I have a recto preamp in the loop of my GSP, running into a Stereo 2:50, into a Mesa 412. This way you have all the pedals you will ever need out front, and lucious modulation FX after the preamp. I even run stereo dual amp sometimes, with the GSP models in one channel, and the rect in the other. Six spaces with a Furman, about 60lbs I think.

I would try guitar->TS9-> Studio Preamp-> power amp and unplug everything else. If that isn't giving the tone you like, adding in everything else won't get you there. Usually the liquid lead settings come from different settings. Try putting the volume on 8, treble on 6, lead drive on 8 and both masters on 5 and adjust volume with your power amp. Oh, and with those settings, try without the tubescreamer, and just see what happens. Are you trying to maintain a clean channel at the same time? If so, and you like how my previously mentioned settings sounded, you should be able to lower the input volume to 5 or 6 and use the tubescreamer to make up the difference by using it as a clean boost (gain or dist low and volume high).

With regards to your effects, the replifex has a built in analog mixer, same as the intellifex. That adds huge value.

Latest posts

Back