2:90 odd cap connection

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corporal

Reaction score
Just discovered this while changing tubes :shock: Looks quite odd. Maybe a mod ?

13589070_10210512877521089_1848413510_o.jpg

Looks like a repair. You can see the scorch marks where the old resistor on that cap blew sometime in the past. Instead of putting the new resistor back in the hold where it was (by the white line after the scorch) to then connect to the pad where the cap connected to, they just connected it directly to the cap.

Those yellow wires look suspect though, Without a larger shot to see where to connect too I'm not really sure why they're hooked up there. Assuming we're looking at the caps on the bottom right of this shot?

o46ok.jpg

Hi IronSean,

That looks quite different than mine :) s/n is 2285. Yes, it are the caps on the bottom right.

One yellow wire goes to the middle transformer and the other one goes to a cap nearby. So in fact the repair just bypasses the pcb ?

13585081_10210543933777476_6845900595388622067_o.jpg

Actually the amp works fine, except for the 2 LDR's that have to be replaced, because they seem to be the culprit of unwanted noise (see my http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=488291#p488291).

I hoped I could get rid of that noise by replacing all tubes, but alas... :roll:

I'd have to dig up a schematic, or even see one myself to trace some pcb paths, but my intuition with this is just that a part blew, maybe a couple PCB traces got damaged too. Rather than resoldering to the PCB some wires were used to bypass the PCB, going directly to the cap, resistor, and other cap instead of to the solder pads and through the traces.

Latest posts

Back