Triaxis presence control... Anyone else leave it at zero?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
So the more I've tweaked my Triaxis, the more I realize I don't really like what the Presence control does to the sound. It adds sort of an artificial top-end sparkle that sounds weird with overdriven tones. Also after reviewing the manual, it refers to it as the "presence circuit" which makes me think it's sort of an additional stage of tone shaping that is just optional. So for the first time I've been leaving Presence at zero most of the time and I like the sound of my Triaxis more than ever.

Anyone else feel the same? Or do you LOVE your Triaxis' presence control?

I don't have a triaxis, but most amps that have a presence control have it on the power amp section, controlling negative feedback from the output of your power tubes coming back into the input of your power tubes and cancelling harsh high end content.

Since the Triaxis is a preamp, it doesn't do it that way, and instead they've got something a little different going on. from the manual:
PRESENCE: This control usually regulates either brightness or negative feedback in the power section of an amplifier.
In the TriAxis a whole new approach to this traditional circuit was taken. An actual dynamic feedback loop that
compresses the highs and upper treble frequencies makes this PRESENCE control the first of its’ kind. In applying
for the patent for this unique (high compression) circuit, we discovered that this same basic concept can apply to
many parts of the tube amp in guitar amplification and your TriAxis is the first benefactor of such a breakthrough.
With greater understanding and patent grants behind us, lets talk sound.
As the PRESENCE control is increased, more highs are allowed to pass. The lower the signal strength at the input
of this control, the more highs pass through it. The lower region of the PRESENCE control dampens these high
harmonics. The greater the signal strength at the circuit input becomes, the darker the sound becomes. So...if you set the PRESENCE
control high and pick softly (sending a small signal through the PRESENCE control circuit) the highs will be very prominent in
the mix.
If you decrease the PRESENCE control and pick harder (increasing the signal strength at the PRESENCE control circuit input)
the high harmonics will be very subtle. In other words, the PRESENCE control helps enhance whichever direction you’re trying
to go in with your sound and it does so dynamically! Most players love the way tube circuits react to subtle nuances in style...This
PRESENCE control circuit takes that idea a few steps further. When you’re “going off” on the treble strings in a solo and you go for
an expressive bend and lay hard into the note...TriAxis works with you! If you picked the note hard with the PRESENCE control set
low, that note would become bigger, rounder and more compressed.
Likewise, if you were doing some low growling work on the bass strings and the PRESENCE control was set high...you could relax
into this segment and let the PRESENCE control make the edge. Most everyone that we know always wishes their high notes could
be fatter and their low notes to be more discernible and articulate...highs where you need them, lack of highs where you don’t. Make
sense...? If not on paper, then you need to plug in and experience the way this dynamic PRESENCE control can enhance your playing,
especially when you are soloing.

So maybe you don't like whatever it is their did to try and emulate a presence control.

Found out a little more since my last post. After trolling the AxeFX forums, the creator (who modelled the triaxis in detail digitally) says the presence control is really just a high cut shelving filter. Leaving it at 10.0 is no cut, and anything lower is just a cut of the very high frequencies. It doesn't boost anything that wouldn't already have been in the signal.

After reading this thread, I had a wee experiment with the presence control last night. As always tone is subjective, but here's what I found:

• 1. Makes next to no difference on LD1 Red - as per manual. Left mine at zero.
    2. Both Rhythms become quite bright with a high (>7.5 value). It sounded kinda cool with the pushed Rhythm Green tones and single coils with a Phaser chucked in for good measure :)
    3. Wasn't so fond of it with LD1 Green and Yellow.
    4. Really bright on LD2 Green and Yellow. Quite nice with lead, if you like that kind of thing.

I should say that I had no DV on the patches but I do have an EQ and TC Gmaj2 in the loop. Power amp is a 2:90 with all three voices enabled.

Back