NIB Strategy 500 on Craigslist for $3,000

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Strategy-500-Poweramp-New-in-Box-/281922170590?hash=item41a3deeede:g:~cwAAOxy9X5TXFse

That's a powerful price for a powerful amp. I love my Strategy 500, and if I were wealthy, I might buy that one.

Speaking of Strategy 500's, there's a sore lack of information regarding them, due to their limited run, I guess. Mesa doesn't have a schematic for them, and I couldn't get any info such as the number that were made. I wish there was more of a history info depository for these amps.

Trent at Mesa speculated to me that, while very cool, perhaps these amps were too much for the average person, and so the Simul 2:90 appeals to a larger user base. While I'm sure Mesa's sales agree, the way I think about it is: What really is an extra $180 in tube costs every 10 or more years (if only using one side of the amp at a time), to have the biggest tone possible?

I don't know too much about the way amps get their tone, but I'd love to see Mesa take things a step further, maybe with a special limited or show model, like car manufacturers do with prototypes, and make an amp that uses more tubes per channel than the Strategy 500. Maybe a single-channel amp that takes up the space of a 2:90, and which uses the same number of tubes, but just for a single channel.

stephen sawall said:
It's worth about $700 ... That was the price of the last few I saw. No returns... Wonder why ?
Well, a buyer would be able to issue a chargeback or initiate a claim with eBay if it wasn't work as advertised, so I'm guessing that's just to avoid any buyer's second-thoughts about the sale that might occur.

The price is very high, but The last few you saw probably were not mint condition, and never used, so $700 doesn't apply to its market value.

Back