Hetfield Triaxis settings - Load/Reload/Black albums ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobnew

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I was wondering if some of you could share their Triaxis settings for the Load/Reload/Black album tones ?

Thank you.

hydesg said:
Guess not....

No way ;-)

Well, I know that these albums are not the most appreciated but I love the tone and I can't be the only one ?

So Even Black album settings ?

Well, Triaxis + Strategy 400 was the live tone of most of the 90s for Hetfield, as well as used in the Load albums as well. Don't forget that Het used 2 Triaxis together for his live sound back then - one on LD2 Yellow, the other on LD1 Red.

Settings? Depends on what else you're using. I'd recommend getting an external EQ to use in the loop instead of relying on the DV.

Thanks !
So if I put an EQ in the Triaxis loop I can't put effects like delay or chorus, right ?

google has lots of archived images if u search around. anything from montyjay (a guy who used to have a metallica website) would be legit

gobnew said:
Thanks !
So if I put an EQ in the Triaxis loop I can't put effects like delay or chorus, right ?

You can string as much or as little in the loop as you want. James uses two Triaxis as mentioned before, and he also has a custom box with two Mesa 5-band EQs, one for each preamp. To start to get there with one, you will want the added flexibility of an EQ in the loop (probably before your chorus and delay if you use them), either a Mesa, or even an MXR 10-band for more flexibility. That'll give you more control than the "Dynamic" Eq thing the Triaxis has.

I use a Mesa eq after the Triaxis before it goes into the TC G Major 2. It sounds better than in the loop, I also have it in a loop on a Voodoo Labs GCX so that I can turn it off and on, cleans and Mark1 sounds are better without eq. I have the Triaxis on Ld2 Yellow, Gain 6-8, Treble 7, Middle 3.5, Bass 7, Lead 1 0, Lead 2 5-7, Master 7, Presence 7, Dynamic 1. I have the eq scooped mid and both trebles and basses pretty high, in the v configuration.

Circling back to this topic. I've been playing with my Triaxis/Strategy 400 rig a lot lately, and if you're only going to use 1 Triaxis for the 90s Metallica sound, I think Lead 1 RED (TX4 Recto board, non-Fat) does the most convincing job by itself with an EQ in the loop.

Back