Triaxis questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sorbz62

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just bought a used v2 non-phat Triaxis and have a few points/ questions:

1. The preset reset (shift/ mode) does not seem to do anything. I want to get back to the factory presets but I can't.

2. When I am on rhythm green and put gain up to 10 (as per one of the presets) all hiss disappears. In fact there seems to be a lot of hiss in all presets.

3. Although there is a lot of gain, there isn't the compressed sound I thought it would have??? Maybe I need to retube it?

The rack has an old rack Shure wireless, a Lexicon MPX-1 and a Mesa 20/20 poweramp. I am not sure where the hiss is coming from but it may be the wireless.

Any ideas?

Hi Ando

I have a manual and have read it many times.

Although the Triaxis works well and sounds good, the factory preset reset (ha) does nothing.

Rhythm green is hissy unless I turn the gain up to 10!

Therr is not enough gain.

Those were my questions I have been using racks with midi in massive rigs gor many years but this is my first mesa preamp.

Thanks anyway.
Jim

Hey,

1 - Maybe the presets 1-20 you see are the default ones. Anyway i would try to press SHIFT + LOOP to defeat factory presets, the press SHIFT + MODE to recall and check again if something has changed.

2 - I had the same setup as yours (v2 non phat + 20:20) and IMO the TriAxis is a bit noisy by itself, specially when increasing the gain and treble on certain modes. I think that hiss is related to higher frequencies and, as far as I remember, lowering the gain in the TA you get more high end content, so maybe this is why you hear less hiss with higher gain settings.

3 - Which mode do you refer?

In order to identify the noise source, I would isolate the variables like:
Start powering only the TA + 20/20 and cab only. Turning the volume up and checking for any noise (hum, hiss, pops, microphonics, etc). Then pluging the guitar with a short cable (less than 3m) and well shielded straight to the TA and checking again if "something new" appears. Then keep inserting the other equipment in the chain one by one until to find the noisy guy.

Cheers,

LuizPauloDT said:
Hey,

1 - Maybe the presets 1-20 you see are the default ones. Anyway i would try to press SHIFT + LOOP to defeat factory presets, the press SHIFT + MODE to recall and check again if something has changed.

2 - I had the same setup as yours (v2 non phat + 20:20) and IMO the TriAxis is a bit noisy by itself, specially when increasing the gain and treble on certain modes. I think that hiss is related to higher frequencies and, as far as I remember, lowering the gain in the TA you get more high end content, so maybe this is why you hear less hiss with higher gain settings.

3 - Which mode do you refer?

In order to identify the noise source, I would isolate the variables like:
Start powering only the TA + 20/20 and cab only. Turning the volume up and checking for any noise (hum, hiss, pops, microphonics, etc). Then pluging the guitar with a short cable (less than 3m) and well shielded straight to the TA and checking again if "something new" appears. Then keep inserting the other equipment in the chain one by one until to find the noisy guy.

Cheers,

Thanks mate,

I appreciate your help.

I'll try all that.

The lack of gain translate sto a lack of compression really - I feel it is missing that really chewy sound on the Lead channels. Maybe it's just me!

Cheers,
Jim

The TriAxis has tons of gain in the Lead 1 Red / Lead 2 modes and can deliver that good distorted/saturated and compressed sound for leads work, specially the Lead 2 Yellow IMO.
If you feel that there's not enough gain, increase the treble to get that "+", compensating with TriAxis Presence or the 20:20 presence control. If you still think that there's not enough gain or if the controls are not responding as they should (the manual here is a good reference), maybe some LDRs need to be properly calibrated.

Just as a reference, in the Lead 2 Yellow with GAIN @7.5, DRIVE 2 @6.5/7.0 and TREBLE @6.0 I have enough gain for lead singing tones using a JP13 guitar.

Regards,
Luiz

Latest posts

Back