11rack still good?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentSSL

Reaction score
I'm asking because someone wants to trade me a complete11 rack rig for my Dual rec a Rev f

BrentSSL said:
I'm asking because someone wants to trade me a complete11 rack rig for my Dual rec a Rev f

Don't do it. Unless that 11r rig also has a Triaxis and Stereo 2:90 or similar value in it, doubtful.

Also, if you are not digging the Rev F tone, you may want to consider a recap, unless you already have. Electrolytic capacitors are only supposed to do their jobs for around 10 years, good ones of course can last 15-20 and function beyond. But the tone of a tube amp can suffer and get noisey as well. Put some nice F&T for power filtering in there at the very least, and the thing will come to life.

I recapped a Rev G (June '00) with F&T caps for filtering, and it made a big difference in dynamic response, especially when using tube rectfication. Which is why we like Rectifiers right?

If you want to keep the amp stock, Mesa will sell you the caps that are exact replacments.

In any case, you won't eaasily find amps built as well as early Mesas. They are on par with most custom builds, and can't be matched for durability, worth every penny to recap.

It has been retubed and recapped recently I dig the tone just looking for a bit of a change.

BrentSSL said:
It has been retubed and recapped recently I dig the tone just looking for a bit of a change.

I understand, I am always shopping for different gear.

You can get a used 11r for under $300 usually, and run it into the FX return of your Mesa. For an even more affordable modeler, check out the Digitech GSP1101. It does a great job with high gain stuff, and sounds great through a tube power amp into a guitar cab. You can find them for ~$250, some even have some killer IRs loaded, if you want to record or go direct. The Control 2 floorboard is also a deal at around $200, and an awesome controller, if you want to gig with it.

If you want to get an idea how the GSP1101 sounds, you can get an RP360 pedal. It has the same software and processor, only one of them though.

I have a GSP1101 rig right now, with a AMT SS10 preamp, running through a Mesa Stereo 2:50, into a Rectifier 412. I have the GSP models and the AMT running stereo dual amp, and it SLAYS.

BrentSSL said:

As a former 11Rack owner I can honestly say it's a great piece of gear especially as an introduction to recording. I would describe it as fun, but it became unfulfilling after awhile. I understand wanting a bit of a change but there are better ways to find change.

Given To Fly said:
BrentSSL said:

As a former 11Rack owner I can honestly say it's a great piece of gear especially as an introduction to recording. I would describe it as fun, but it became unfulfilling after awhile. I understand wanting a bit of a change but there are better ways to find change.

I agree that it is a nice change of pace, and I can sympathize with the appeal of the unit. I went all in for an 11rack rig a couple years ago, but the feel bothered me more and more over time. It can sound pretty great with some tweaking, but you just can't fake that tube feel/interaction. I was running it through an ART SLA-2 and Tech21 PowerEngine 60. Some guys run it through 2 PE60 cabs in stereo which can sound pretty killer with stereo effects. If you have the opportunity to keep your tube amp it may be a fun departure, but you will be back to the land of tubes, eventually. I took a year hiatus with the AXE FX (between Mark V's), and then a year hiatus with the 11rack a few years later due to lack of funds. I finally settled on the Mark V:25, and it is the best fit for my needs. I can easily justify the size, power, and price for my playing needs. Paired with a mini recto 1x12 and some fun TC effects it can do it all.

Back