Suspected fault

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evertonpaul

Reaction score
I just bought a Triaxis, and it immediately needed a repair; some smoothing caps were replaced to cure an issue with unstable DC voltage affecting the digital control. This repair was recommended by Boogie themselves.

However, the unit has been damaged in shipping. The front right rack ear is badly bent and the front panel wiil have to be removed to bend it straight. Bad enough, but now there seems to be another fault! It could have occurred when the unit took the knock, maybe... :cry:

I now have issues with Lead 1 yellow and green, and Lead 2 red seems to be not activating properly.

With Lead 1 drive at zero, switching from Lead 1 yellow to green produces absolutely no change in tone or gain. Switching to Lead 1 red gives a big change to very hi gain (as expected).

However, with lead 2 drive at zero, switching from yellow to green to red produces no change in gain. I would expect more noise to kick in when switching to red. Also, with the drive turned up and gain at about 8, going past 6.5 on the drive on lead 2 red has absolutely no effect. With the gain and drive at these levels the lead 2 red sounds more like a crunch channel, with half the distortion of lead 1 red.

I'm guessing this is not how things should be! From memory lead 2 red was heavily saturated gain. I have tried swapping around the valves/tubes to absolutely no avail.

Now the guy who sold it to me is offering a refund as he arranged the first repair, but I really, really want a Triaxis and part of me thinks this should be repairable. There is only one official Boogie repair man (Dennis Marshall) in the UK, in Scotland - or so he says on his website.

Should I send it to him (this time in a wooden box!) ?

Anybody got any thoughts on what this fault could be?

Cheers

Issue fixed. Dennis Marshall in Scotland fixed this in no time at all. Just one faulty chip (not the main control chip), and dirt on the pins of the main control chip.

Sometimes it pays to just send it to an expert! :lol:

Latest posts

Back