Mesa Studio 2C+ Mod Demo / Various Preamp Comparisons

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stav92

Reaction score
Ok check this out.

Made a video demonstrating the difference the 2C+ mod makes to the Studio Pre (and Bass shift mod)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFfvrxZAy-E

Gear Used
- 2C+ Modded and Bass shift modded Studio Pre (Grey EQ) - FX send out.
- Stock Studio Pre (Black EQ) Fx Send out.
- Mesa Quad (Recording outs disconnected)
- Myasnikov Midi Preamp (Soldano X88R clone with customisable Bass/Treble/Body shift switches)
(ALL MESA preamps have their Reberb tank/tube removed)

Enjoy and please share your thoughts/Comments!!

The 2C+ is definitely worth doing!! The guitar Slices through any track now! Especially with EMG's. The mod somehow makes Solo's sound smoother, and the Rhythm sharper/more percussive.
IT RUINS THE CLEAN CHANNEL / LOW GAIN BRIGHT CRUNCH SOUND HOWEVER!! (Hence I also purchased a Stock Studio Pre for cleans/bright crunch ala Lethal Weapon style playing lol)

hello there,

I liked the modded preamp the best as well.
Makes is a it darker or something.

Can anyone please help me with a proper instruction?
I keep reading tons of positive comments on IIC+ modded Studio's but there is hardly any info on how to do it.
(one post on this forum, but in that same post that schematic is actually questioned)

Im not handy myself at all, so I need a schematic that I can show an amp technician here in Holland.
And just say: "There. I want this" .

Any help would be very much appriciated!!

(Note, since English is likely your second language out in the Netherlands, Schematic would be the full word, or schem would be the accepted shortened form even though it's not technically a correctly spelled word. Scheme is "a large-scale systematic plan or arrangement for attaining some particular object or putting a particular idea into effect." so it could be applicable here, but wouldn't usually be the word related to amp schematics. More likely it would be used as "I've got a Scheme (complicated plan) to rob a bank". This is why I was confused in the other thread about what you wanted.)

The Schematics posted on here do seem to be largely right, just needing a small tweak or two for a couple problems mentioned:

http://www.watergate.republika.pl/schems/bass_shift_&_deep_MOD.jpg
This one adds the bass shift and deep functions. Lowering the range of the bass knob on the EQ by letting more bass through the input of the amp, and increasing the bass output by letting more low end through the stage after the Master volume respectively. They both look correct and just need to be attached to push/pull pots or switches to let you toggle.

http://www.watergate.republika.pl/schems/lead_C+mod.jpg
This one is the actual lead circuit (seen in the centre of the above full schematic). There are a couple issues mentioned based on comparisons to other schematics where the person who made it just misread a value:

1) What looks like a 214K resistor replaced with a 170K resistor Should really be a 270K resistor. Both 170 and 214 are non-standard values, so check that it's not already just a 270K resistor in there.

2) The 500pF cap beside the 274K resistor above V3B is somewhat optional. The default value was 1000pF, or no cap at all in a simulclass amp(probably because it smoothed the high end already). I believe it reduces brightness and smooths out the sound. Running a 50/50 you probably want a cap of some sort there, 500pF might be a good middle ground.

In which case, just printing that out, and changing the 170 to 270 with a note that it might already be a 270 should be all you need.

Ok, did not know that (or maybe a bit actually, now that you mention it...).
Thank you and yes, English is indeed my second language.

But, most of all thank you A LOT for the actual answer!
Cool man, really really appreciated.

Im definitly going for it now.

Hi All. I am very late to the party on this one. my studio pre is now sounding thin and dull. nothing like what it used to. I am toying with the idea of getting the ii C++ mod done, although I'm not sure how much it will change the sound. ive heard it changes the clean channel also, but in which way does it change? any help would be most appreciated

Hi All. I am very late to the party on this one. my studio pre is now sounding thin and dull. nothing like what it used to. I am toying with the idea of getting the ii C++ mod done, although I'm not sure how much it will change the sound. ive heard it changes the clean channel also, but in which way does it change? any help would be most appreciated
The clean channel loses some bass when doing a 2C+ mod. It's still usable though.

I just sent my pre for a recap and 2c+ mod to Dan (from Bulgaria)
Is a verry nice guy but what I really like about him.... he knows what is Mesa!
I allways run from guys Who talk **** about Mesa and Dan (like me) love this brand.
Here is a video of his mod.

Back