Triaxis and GSP1101 stompboxes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stimpy2468

Reaction score
So I've got my triaxis and GSP1101 connected up along with a control 2 floorboard, very happy with all the sounds and connectivity, sussed out all the midi stuff for continuous controllers, all good.

Except.....

STOMPBOXES!!!!

Been through all the models on the GSP and the only ones I can get to sound remotely good are the tubescreamer ones set quite low, everything else just sound raspy like static, not a decent distortion among them.

Now I know that I shouldn't need to use distortion with a triaxis at my feet but really? why are they just so un-useable?

Any comments on this as to why, or what I might be doing wrong gratefully received, I obviously want to get the most out of my rig so let me know what you think :)

I must add that I've tried the stompbox models through everything from clean to slightly dirty settings, not trying to kick anything above green or orange rhythm.

Cheers in advance :)

I will assume you have the C63 firmware installed on your GSP. IF not, get it here...

http://mustbebeta.com/gsp1101/gsp1101vc63.html

There are some I/O options on the GSP that may effect how things are sounding. You should have your guitar plugged into the GSP, a cable running from the GSP send jack to the TriAxis rear input, a cable running from the TriAxis outputs to the GSP loop returns (at least one left to left anyway). Then cables from the GSP output to your amp or interface, etc...

You want the loop on the GSP set to "Internal and External" that way you can switch between models and the triaxis on each patch, or pan them for a stereo dual rig. For any pacth sending stomp boxes to the Triaxis, you need to set it to "dist" mode, which puts the loop right before the models, so only preamp stomp effects go the to Triaxis.

On the patches themselves, you also want to set the Compressor to "post" amp, even if the compressor is turned off, it somehow opens up the tone a bit, and gives a bit more volume. You may like it tht way, maybe not.

There is a send level button on the back of the GSP, you can try switching that. There are a ton of I/O options in the GSP settings that can effect the way it sounds based on what you are sending the final signal to.

Forgot to add, on my GSP1101 when the USB cable plugged into it, I get a high pitched whine in the signal.

Thanks for the reply Vick

All connected same as yours and yes, have the C63 firmware installed, I don't bother with the internal/external option as no intention of using the amp modelling at all, and I am in dist mode with comp in post. Tried the rear button switching but doesn't change much.

So im a bit stumped, I'm working with the continuous controllers now through midi which gives me options on kicking in some grunt on the Triaxis, just a shame that with so many drives in the list I cant find a decent distortion that isn't full of fizz.

might try pulling out the triaxis and throwing a few pedals in front of it and see what happens, read somewhere that it doesn't really take pedals well, maybe that's why Petrucci only ever throws a tubescreamer in front of it.

Can't really complain with all the options the Triaxis offers, would just have been real handy to use internal stomps.

Cheers

Steve

What are you running for output? Direct to inteface, power amp and guitar cab, or FRFR, etc...?

There are output options in the GSP global menus that have a huge impact on tone. Setting the output type and using direct cab if using a guitar cab, is critical.

Back