Upgrade from 2:Fifty to 2:Ninety?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7enderbender

Reaction score
Did anyone ever switch from a 2:50 to a 2:90 (with a triaxis)? Was it worth it? I've had the Triaxis with a 2:50 now for about a year. Runs with a TC G-Force and either through my 2x12 rectifier cab in stereo - or with the 2x12 in addition to my Marshall 4x12 (G12T75).

Again, it all sounds very very good, especially when combining with the Marshall cab. But I've been thinking that the 2:90 with the different modes might just give it the extra kick, especially for clean and crunchy sounds that are not quite getting me that extra oomph and sparkle that I like in some other amps (I'm still after that crunch and half clean coming from the Engl Savage 120...).
Love the tight high gain and mid-rangy lead sounds I'm getting so I don't want to lose those.

My guess is that the 90w should be ok with the V30 speaker (60 or 65w I think). I never crank amps that loud and always mike cabs live. Only other concern is yet more weight to rack.

The ninety sounds like tonal heaven to me. That's my tone for life, and perfect with the triaxis. PETE

Just to avoid opening another thread and I know that has been covered before to some degree:

I'm on the fence about getting an older version 2:90 that I could get. From what I understand they sound the same, but are built differently. And the older one has a fixed power cable (which I hate when they do that). Some folks state, however, that the older one was a bit more solid. Not sure how accurate that is. Both version are US built, right? Old one doesn't have a ground lift I don't think, which should be ok.

Any other differences or weaknesses in either version? Any differences in the three modes?

7enderbender said:
Just to avoid opening another thread and I know that has been covered before to some degree:

I'm on the fence about getting an older version 2:90 that I could get. From what I understand they sound the same, but are built differently. And the older one has a fixed power cable (which I hate when they do that). Some folks state, however, that the older one was a bit more solid. Not sure how accurate that is. Both version are US built, right? Old one doesn't have a ground lift I don't think, which should be ok.

Any other differences or weaknesses in either version? Any differences in the three modes?

EVERY product we make is US built....right here in our one and only facility in Petaluma, California!!

Authorized Boogie said:
7enderbender said:

EVERY product we make is US built....right here in our one and only facility in Petaluma, California!!

Thanks for that and for responding here directly. I've always been a huge fan of Mesa/Boogie products ever since I wandered into a store in the mid to late 80s and tried out what must have been a Mark II or Mark III with a nice stratocaster. I was a teenager and this was so out of my price range. Later I bought the first V-Twin pedal and that has always been one of the mainstays of my sound ever since. Now in my forties and able to buy stuff randomly I've finally put together the kind of rack I always wanted. Next will be to potentially add the 2:90 and a Mark IV combo.

I know you'd probably want me to go buy brand new items. No worries, I'm sure GAS will kick in for Mark V head soon enough. Right now I'm still on the rack gear - and I get a lot of positive feedback and comments at shows, from both other musicians and civilians. Rack is not dead!

So, while I have you: it seems both old and new version of the 2:90 are great sounding so it comes down to availability and reliability. The few differences I read about are: power cable (prefer the new version there but it can be done either way), wiring of the tubes (point to point vs PCP board), potentially breakdown of the power cable harness on the old version.

1. Who in the Boston area could check an old version 2:90 and is there a preventive fix for the power cable harness issue?
2. Who in the Boston area sells new Boogie gear? I usually work with my local folks at GC but they're not a Boogie dealer.
3. Is there a risk running the 2:90 into my 2x12 Recto Cab (with the stereo plate, Mesa/Celestion V30 speakers)?
4. Is anyone aware of any direct comparison sound clip of a 2:50 vs 2:90 or a demo of the deep/modern modes with a Triaxis?

Back