Tubes for Triaxis and Formula Pre

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanab

Reaction score
Hey all...

Newly acquired Triaxis and Formula Pre preamps in the house! Woot!

I would love to know what tubes you guys have in yours... right now, I have JJ's in the Triaxis and the Mesa tubes in the Formula... I've had great success with the Mullard RI in an Engl e530... took the harshness out, but left ALL of the gain and bite in the best, smooth, round way.

What tubes do you all prefer in yours?

I like a LOT of high gain stuff, and my cleans to be as clean as bleach...

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I've got sovtek 7025s in mine (that's what it came to me with). They sound much better than the (Mesa) Russian 2 and China mix in my last TriAxis. Not sure what's in the Formula. It sounds great, so I didn't feel the need to look.

Yeah...

My Triaxis came with 4 Groove Tube 12ax7C's and a Mesa 12ax7R... sounds pretty good.

The Formula came with 4 Mesa 12ax7R's...

I swapped them out and the Triaxis got REALLY loud and noisy... the Formula I couldn't tell much of a difference, but it did seem not as 'punchy.'

I'm thinking if I get new tubes, go for the 12ax7C's across the board in the Triaxis... Maybe a Mullard RI in V1...

Any other thoughts?

I can highly recommend a lower gain 12AT7 in V3...
Very good explanation can be found on the Triaxis page at www.tubfreak.com (check schematics>Triaxis)

Put a JJ 12at7 in V3...

Put a GT Mullard in V4...

Put a JJ ecc83 in V1...

Have a GT 12ax7c in V5...

Have a GT 12ax7c in V2...

I'd swear that Lead 2 Red is MUCH more articulate without losing any gain or it's "searing" nature... and Rhythm 1 Green is MUCH more full, open and round coming VERY close to matching the Formula Pre, which until about 10 seconds ago, I thought crushed the Triaxis for cleans...

Mullards all around?

Sounds like you dig how it sounds with the tubes you just put in...
Why change that? ;-)

Latest posts

Back